new! DeWALT DCS387 18v XR reciprocating saw

Mr. Yellow

Was just browsing some new DeWALT brochures from a few European countries and the Italian version showed a new cordless reciprocating saw. Similar to their latest corded model, but now cordless.

Available from October in Italy (and presumably other EU countries as well). No word on US yet.

DCS387%20(1).jpeg

DCS387%20(2).jpeg

• Like 2

It looks like the cordless take on corded compact reciprocating saw. I though my local Lowes stopped carrying the corded model, but they might have been just getting rid of one for some reason they still stock it. Now its online only through Home Depot. Maybe the cordless model will be more popular than the corded. For some reason the corded version didn't take off even with a big marketing push. Its one of those things people resist change and they are used to the typical recip saw shape. I wouldn't be against having this saw if I had the 20vmax/xr platform.

I agree with Mr. Yellow they are bad for vibration and the blades do wobble around something awful especially when they get bent!!

But they are handy to have on rip outs!! and I would say there are a few jobs I would use nothing else for. Like ripping out windows and doors. Getting the blade in-between the frame and reveal and just cutting through the fixings makes things so much quicker and easier!!

I cant say that I have even tried the new shape versions corded or cordless. My question is with having a cranked body instead of a inline body would that or does that take away any of its strength? is there a trade off in strength for reduced dimensions?? 

Yeah, I guess if they wanted to compete with Big Red, this would seem to be a logical step! Yukka Yukka Yukka!

Just kidding....I actually got the new Dewalt DCE995 Brushless Hammer on eBay. It should be here Tuesday and I paid $175 for the whole kit...new... 4.0 batteries.....I'm looking forward to this. Especially when I put my new basement window and storage shelves in the basement for my Festool Systainers!

• Like 1

No DR....Team Green Baaaaaaby! But....til Festool gets their heads out of their hineys I still need a hammer drill for some heavy work and after watching the TiA review, I figured hey.....I bash me all the time, let's give me a go. So I am hopeful this will work great but I still have my trusty M12s and a XC battery and work light in case I decide to piece meal a few of Big Reds line back.

I had to do some light ribbing as that is the TIA way. Heck I'm even considering putting my Red tools in Yellow cases because Milwaukee does not have a modular stacking system yet, and I'm just fed up waiting. I know Festool has that beast of a 4 speed drill they are selling in Europe but not here yet. I also noticed they have dropped the Protool brand in the Uk its all being marketed as Festool now. https://www.festool.co.uk/Products/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?pid=769191&name=QUADRIVE-DRC-cordless-drill-DRC-18-4-Li-4-2-Plus-GB

Yeah, I guess if they wanted to compete with Big Red, this would seem to be a logical step! Yukka Yukka Yukka!

Just kidding....I actually got the new Dewalt DCE995 Brushless Hammer on eBay. It should be here Tuesday and I paid $175 for the whole kit...new... 4.0 batteries.....I'm looking forward to this. Especially when I put my new basement window and storage shelves in the basement for my Festool Systainers!

I assume you mean a DCD995 (Dewalt-cordless-drill), I know you enjoy it. All of the customers I've sold one to have been really pleased with it.

I will say when I go back to a cordless recip....Fuel baby.....Fuel!

Milwaukee has a good deal on the M12 Hackzall right now with a 4.0ah xc pack $149 for the kit with battery verses $139 for the bare tool. Its not a hard call  the xc 4.0 battery is 80 dollars. I need to go through and find all of my m12 chargers and either have a sale, or just give a few away on the forum all I would ask is the person cover my shipping costs. I think I have around 6 of them. And I want to get that new M12/M18 six pack rapid charger when it gets released.http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-Fuel-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hackzall-Reciprocating-Saw-Kit-2520-21XC/205145430

Yeah BigMike....I found it for 230 new and put and offer in for $175 thinking he he'd tell me to blow. I closed the eBay app and my iPhone chirped like two minutes later telling me to pay for it! Well there you go. I had to shuffle money from one account to another but for the brushless hammer, 101 charger and two 4.0 batteries brand new.....well that's a deal any way you cut it!

• Like 1

Yeah BigMike....I found it for 230 new and put and offer in for $175 thinking he he'd tell me to blow. I closed the eBay app and my iPhone chirped like two minutes later telling me to pay for it! Well there you go. I had to shuffle money from one account to another but for the brushless hammer, 101 charger and two 4.0 batteries brand new.....well that's a deal any way you cut it!

awesome deal Chris!

I've always liked this compact recip saw. Maybe one day it will be a desired form factor just like what they did with rotary hammers. I would rather have the compact drop motor style hammers any day versus the long in line d-handle styles.

And making this recip saw cordless is awesome- I just hope compact doesn't equal less power

That's what did me in on the Dewalt corded rotary hammer deal. First problem is was corded I would prefer cordless the second was the fact it was the long D-handler style. I know some guys prefer the handle I think it makes the tool too long for what I would use a Rotary hammer for. To be honest I don't do enough masonry or concrete  to even justify a rotary hammer. A plain ole percussion hammer is good enough for what I do the occasional tapcon or anchor here or there.

I'll let you know for sure! Plus I was down in my shop looking at the bulk head when I saw one of my stair aprons was cracked. I'm going to buy five, screw two sets of two and have one run down the middle. I'll be using my Festool TI15 impactor to do this but my hammer drill will be used to drive some tapcons into the foundation with a piece of PT as an anchor point for my new stairs. I am going to buying four tons of pellets for this winter and need a strong set of stairs to support me and my new pellets.....all 160, 50lb bags of them going to down there! This'll be a great test for this Dewalt! I'm actually stoked!

Oh hell no you might want to make a board that goes over your stairs so you can slide the bags down the stairs ChristK. My backaches just even thinking about moving that many bags. I did 2 1/2 pallets of topsoil one time and that was brutal. I actually want to put in another raised bed and that means bringing in even more dirt.

• Like 1