How many batteries are necessary?

Anonymous

A DIYer or homeowner can get away with only one, since they can have the time to come back and finish after it recharges.

I'm self employed (wife calls it Semi retired) and most of all my work is done from home, however when I'm doing something for the house/family/wife there is nothing worse than being in the middle of a job and having to wait......some times jobs can only get done at certain times of a day...

I suggest a 2 battery minimum for a diyer

• 4 weeks later...

Like always it depends on the tools you use. ( Drill driver / impact ain't power hungry   while a circ saw, recip saw, grinder are very power hungry )

I do suppose it also depends on the charging speed of your brands charger.   Makita's 4.0 amps charge fully in 40 minutes tops so for most applications you'll not be able to drain 1 battery before the second battery is topped up on the charger.

There's also a thing like too much batteries.  If you have too many and some of them don't see frequent use they'll start losing performance from age and laying around.

Batteries are in best condition if used ( discharging and charging again ) regularly.

Home user myself and I get by with 2 x  4.0 Amps for the Makita Drill driver / rotary hammer / Recip saw

And I got 2  1.5 amp batteries for the radio / fan / vacuum / heatable jacket.

• Like 1

I have 22 batteries and can easily use 10-12 in a day. By myself. Rotory Hammer goes through batteries like nobody's business. My grinder does too.

Yeah, we have DeWalt XRP Rotary Hammers at work and they chew thru batteries like crazy! We don't really use them that much, unless setting a control network for a big topo job..

Like always it depends on the tools you use. ( Drill driver / impact ain't power hungry while a circ saw, recip saw, grinder are very power hungry )

I do suppose it also depends on the charging speed of your brands charger. Makita's 4.0 amps charge fully in 40 minutes tops so for most applications you'll not be able to drain 1 battery before the second battery is topped up on the charger.

There's also a thing like too much batteries. If you have too many and some of them don't see frequent use they'll start losing performance from age and laying around.

Batteries are in best condition if used ( discharging and charging again ) regularly.

Home user myself and I get by with 2 x 4.0 Amps for the Makita Drill driver / rotary hammer / Recip saw

And I got 2 1.5 amp batteries for the radio / fan / vacuum / heatable jacket.

Good advise here.. if your not cycling through your batteries then your gonna ruin them and it's just a waste..

as a infrequent home user 2 or 3 batteries is probably fine.

Professional users are harder to figure.. look at how many tools you can see yourself using at one time on a regular basis and then add about two extra batteries to that number and you should be fine..

• Like 1

Yeah, we have DeWalt XRP Rotary Hammers at work and they chew thru batteries like crazy! We don't really use them that much, unless setting a control network for a big topo job..

Yea last week I got a hold of a almost brand new Dewalt 36 volt SDS Rotatory hammer kit with the attached cordless dust extraction unit the from my local pawn shop for 525$. I used it to drill some holes in the foundation of my aunts house for a reno they had to do. I feel like 36 volt batteries are more suited to that kind of tool, I used 1 battery drilling 20 holes and then spending 45 minutes destroying some extra patio stones in there back yard with my cousin, and after all that the thing didn't show any signs of significant power drain. It was probably one of the funnest tools I have used in a while. I then sold it to a guy for 600$, witch is crazy because to get it new It costs 1000$.