Bostich combo kit

BK13

http://www.lowes.com/pd_498816-355-BTFP72646_4294795218__?productId=50041602&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

What do ya'll think of this? A good deal, or a bunch of crap packaged together? I don't know much about pancake compressors, and maybe less about nailers, so I'm looking for a little guidance. Possible uses: replacing trim at the GF's house, rebuilding her deck, possibly assembling/making furniture... 

I was originally intending (dreaming) about a Rolair JC10 compressor and Senco or Bostich pin and brad nailers, but I seem to have a budgeting problem. I occasionally see these kits on sale for a pretty cheap price, but I never felt confident pulling the trigger on it... sorry for the pun.

Honestly, this would be a borderline impulse buy, and realistically, I'm not sure the compressor would be up to other tasks I would ask of it.... Powering an impact wrench, air ratchet, cut off tool, die grinder...

Yea, the Jc10 probably couldn't handle the cutoff tool and die grinder. They just require so much air to run. The Bostich is a decent machine it's just going to be really loud. It could be an issue if you have a dog cat or wife.

Again it all depends on what your needs are. If your just a weekend warrior it maybe fine. Most weekend warriors don't justify the need to spend the higher price tag. Tools unfortunately tend to where wether they are being used or not. I know that sounds stupid and some may disagree, but it is true.

Pancakes work fine for nailers, tires, and blowing dust out of tools and stuff, but that's about it.

If you want to be able to run grinders, cut offs, etc, a 15 gallon is probably where you want to start looking.

I wonder if you could run an air impact off a pancake. It's probably not going to be the best situation it will cycle a ton, but compressor with a high cycle rate might be a enough for a backyard mechanic. You would have to really look at the cfm's and see if its really possible.

Well, we'll see how it shakes out. I may end up buying a Rolair anyway, and maybe a second, bigger compressor for the GF's garage (if here's son's girlfriend ever gets her crap out). Still pretty up in the air right now.

i was surprised today, i needed to do a lot of framing today and my large 5 gallon compressor regulator gave out and ended up using a small 1.5 gallon .5 hp craftsman compressor i use for small stuff like air blowing and the like, this thing performed amazingly well with a large framing nailer, so i wouldnt disregard the small compressors for almost any task thats not high cfm like cutting/grinding. 

I have the Bostich combo set.  It has worked great for the last few years.  The pancake compressor is not going to run any big tools, but I have used it with my Senco Framing nailer.  But you have to go slow so you do not drain the tank too fast.  One thing that I did not like is the rubber non marring tips on the Bostich brad nailers, a couple fell apart and when I went to order more they were now discontinued.