Help with deciding on screwdrivers!

AssociatedTechnology

The Proto DuraTek's are awesome. Ergonomic, durable, easy to maintain, a real pleasure to use.

The Wera Kraftforms are nice. Very comfortable, though not quite as durable as the Proto's.

Don't count out Carlyle for drivers either. They're nice robust handles, strong tips, kinda put me in mind of a Witte driver.

Well, I finally went with the Wera screwdrivers.

I would really like it if Eric and Dan would do a review on the Wera, Wiha, Klein, PB Swiss Tools, and Felos in one video! They need more presence on YouTube and in stores!

German companies are hard to deal with sometimes. Wiha never even answered my emails and after 2 reviews Wera forgot our number.

Call them, and keep calling them, I am sure they would not say no.

What do you mean by reviews?

I wrote a couple of reviews for Wera last year:

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2014/02/wera-kraftform-kompact-25-review/

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2013/08/wera-kraftform-review/

They liked the reviews and asked me about doing a couple more. Then they vanished. I called the guy a few months ago and he stopped just short of hanging up on me

I wrote a couple of reviews for Wera last year:

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2014/02/wera-kraftform-kompact-25-review/

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2013/08/wera-kraftform-review/

They liked the reviews and asked me about doing a couple more. Then they vanished. I called the guy a few months ago and he stopped just short of hanging up on me

Just keep calling. Don't give up

Well, I finally went with the Wera screwdrivers. 

I would really like it if Eric and Dan would do a review on the Wera, Wiha, Klein, PB Swiss Tools, and Felos in one video! They need more presence on YouTube and in stores!

I think your going to like your new drivers AT, I absolutely love mine. Nice holder too. They are very comfortably and have etched tips that'll grip really nicely.

I dunno, Travis is providing them with free press to a pretty sizable group of people who spend a LOT more money than the average on tools, yet it seems as if they want him to beg? No thanks.

It will set the channel apart from others on YouTube. You will be able to see unique tools from different manufacturers and compare them to the screwdrivers that you see in stores. I think you should keep trying.

I got mine on sale at Sears. They were $34.99. I paid about $20, because I had some rewards points I was able to use towards my purchase. The set comes with 3 slotted and 3 phillips screw drivers. The handle on them says made in Germany.

jtdD1q0.jpg

I believe it's  the Wiha 32092 Slotted And Phillips Insulated Screwdriver Set, 1000 Volt, 6 Piece. I could be wrong, I'll double check later when I get home. Amazon has them on sale for about $34. They only have one layer of insulation. I have seen others (Milwaukee) have a yellow layer and a red layer. So you can visually see if it's time to decomission that screw driver.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have,,,,,,

Armstrong

Craftsman 

Craftsman Pro

Carlye

Cornwell

klein

Gearwrench

SK

Snap-on

Wera

IMO the best bang for the buck are the craftsman Pro.  These are the same as SK and Armstrong. To me ease of warranty is a big factor as screwdrivers are something I can tear up easily.

The brand that seems the best to me overall are the Cornwell.  IIRC correctly they are rebranded Wittes.  Cornwell has two lines of screwdrivers.  The rebranded Wittes that have the gray flacking on the handle and the square handles that are rebranded Sunnex.

I've been tempted to try the new Proto line.  I'm not sure friendly the warranty process is.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had the Weras for a few weeks now and they are great. Only thing is i wish i could get them with a PH#0, PH#3, and PH#4. I know you can for other sets they sell, But i really like the look of my Red/Grey ones and they dont seem to be available for mine, and i like my sets to match. Another set may be in the works then so i can get the ones you can hammer on.

• 2 months later...

I'm not too concerned with the handle shape, but out of the ones I've used, (Wera, Craftsman, Klein, Snap On) The Wera is the only one that the tip of the #2 phillips doesn't round off on. Even after the laser etching wears of, and it does at least for me, they still grip the screw the best and the tip is still the same shape as when I bought it.