Tools you keep in the car

tascher1

Hello all!!!

Just wondering what you guys keep in your car as far as tools/emergency kit. There is nothing worse then having a roadside emergency and saying to yourself gee I wish I had that tool sitting in my garage in my car right now.

I will tell you the first thing I did was put my 2 1/4 ton floor jack in the trunk. There is nothing worse that getting a flat and trying to mess around with the inadequate Chinese made stock jack.

Any examples or ideas of what to keep in your car/truck would be great!

I don't keep that many either....luckily I haven't been in too many roadside emergency situations. Buuut I always think about it when I see the poor guy on the side of the road with his flashers on in the middle of winter trying to get his stock jack to get his car off the ground. Makes you wonder. I hear the Farmer's Almanac is saying the winter for the Midwest is supposed to be worse than last year. I don't see how that's possible.

• Like 1

I have the factory jack that came with my truck along with the lug wrench. I also keep a set of 3/8 sockets along with a few pliers and screwdrivers and a couple of hammers. I also have a set of cheap wrenches. Now that I think of it, no wonder I don't have any room behind the seat of my truck. I do keep a spare fuel filter and a spare module for the distributor since one crapped out on me. Now that I drive 300 miles every weekend to college I try to be prepared for anything.

I have a truck tool box so I always keep one of my impact and drill kits with 2batteries,screwdrivers,straps,dewalt 20v light and believe it or not a cheap harbor freight socket kit which I have used and my DCB090 USB power source with an extra 4.0 battery just incase my phone is low

Just the standard car stuff..Been thinking of putting my 18v dewalt recip saw in the boot,just incase I come across a branch Blocking the road,I could cut it up and be all hero like..hahaha the chances of that happening in the UK are slim..

• Like 1

I don't keep that many either....luckily I haven't been in too many roadside emergency situations. Buuut I always think about it when I see the poor guy on the side of the road with his flashers on in the middle of winter trying to get his stock jack to get his car off the ground. Makes you wonder. I hear the Farmer's Almanac is saying the winter for the Midwest is supposed to be worse than last year. I don't see how that's possible.

If its worse that last year I'm bailing out of the midwest and asking for a government bailout. I can't deal with a winter like that one again so soon.

• Like 1

Just the standard car stuff..Been thinking of putting my 18v dewalt recip saw in the boot,just incase I come across a branch Blocking the road,I could cut it up and be all hero like..hahaha the chances of that happening in the UK are slim..

You might end up in jail for not wearing high vis clothing if watching all those Top Gear UK episodes have taught me. High vis makes everything safer :)

• Like 1

Detroit had an even worse Sunday :( The Tigers got swept and the Lions have shit for a kicker :( It's crazy how many Governors that have gone to prison in Illinois. Don't get me wrong Michigan has had its moments too like bankruptcy and Kwame Kilpatrick. Typical midwest politics the thing is its the local city and county stuff that is the most corrupt usually. They get to play with too much taxpayer money.

My car trunk has a bunch of random tools, I think I have a sander, pliers, a mallet, a mud tray but no trowels lol, a few scattered spacers, and other stuff I can't remember and keep forgetting (too lazy) to clean out

So in other words nothing to help out in a roadside emergency. But I do have the basic tools for changing a tire and like others I have roadside assistance.

• Like 2

Most new cars are not coming with spare tires because most people call road assistance now. The space an weight a spare takes up, and the number one thing the cost a spare tire costs. You know they are really doing it because of their bottom line. Personally I hate but like it at the same time. I see morons driving 85 mph on a compact spare :( people are just so clueless now that its only for emergencies.

• Like 2

Call me weird .....but I secretly enjoy emergency situations like a tire blow out....of course its frustrating, and expensive but its nice to know you have the tools and know how to take care of the problem yourself....on your terms without relying on anyone else. Guess its the American in me. If you have ever seen A Christmas Story you know what Im talking about.! Oh fuuuuuudge!

• Like 2

tascher I fell the same way man, I feel bad when my bro inlaws or sum of my buddys call me and ask do I know how to change a tire and im like wtf really??!! first off I work for a complete autobody/paint repair shop and second how do u not learn how to change a freakin tire!!!lol!! but I still love those guys though.....;)

• Like 1

Yesterday I got a call from one of our staff members that they blew out a tires on one of our company vehicles. A few kids (clients that are in the residential treatment program) were in the vehicle. I took the opportunity to show them the proper way to change a tire. I had them read through the owner's manual to find the correct jack points and the 3 12-15yr olds were able to change the tire with little direction from myself. I think this is an important skill that more father's and mentors should make a point to teach their loved ones how to do.

Well that hardly happens anymore. Kids seem to be afraid to hold a ratchet now. I also blame coddling parents kids are going to get injured as long as they have all their fingers, limbs, and eyes still attacked and working or didn't burn themselves I call it a win. They don't even teach wood shop at the middle school I went to anymore. That makes me sad. I might bother with changing a tire if the weather is decent, but if its cold and snowy forget it. Just thinking about banging cold fingers on something makes me cringe. Its amazing how much that hurts when you hit something with cold fingers. I had to replace a battery in my aunts minivan on a 10-15 degree day and it wasn't fun.

Tascher my 10,9 and 3/12 ur old always help me check the fluids on wifeys car and my truck and the great part is they love doing it they know how to change the oils not that I let them actually do it I just let them tell me what I should be doin step by step. Those lil guys make me very proud :)

• Like 1