Expanding the garage to a 3 car garage

madman_us

im thinking about expanding my 2 car garage and add a 3rd space.

half of that space has already concret (walkway around the house) - so I have to add a bit more.

then I have to relocate the meter from the electric company ( but I heard they would do it too )

the meter is facing towards the side I wanna add the garage, so I think I have to move it because it cant be in the garage right ?!

so ehm ya then just add the garage with another garage door, same roof etc.

what you guys think this whole project would cost and how is the procedure?

permits, inspection and so on....

thanks for every input

I have the space after I took off some of the rock here - the house is build in a lil cove, half way surrounded by mountain.

but the good think is, you can take apart that mountain with a hammer or pickax. that side is just compressed sand/gravel.

even the water can wash it away when it rains hard.

I have a vague idea of what that would cost in Oregon, but I bet it would be at least double, and the permitting much harder, in Palm Springs. Gotta make sure you are not harming the spotted gecko!

I think I'm going to be heading to Palm Springs within the year for a friend's wedding. We'll have to grab a coffee...

now you gonna leave me like that with your post? :D

tell me more please

Ok there a few thing 1) a sidewalk is non load bearing it has no footer and most sidewalks are not reinforced. 2) Most concrete used in sidewalks has a 3,000 psi rating a garage should be 3,500 to 4,000 psi and reinforced and 5 to 6 in thick. The list can go on but these are the first two things that popped in to my head

@ regopit: thanks for the info - now I learned something new :P

@ chad: I just bought the house 1 year ago. I don't think it will be such a problem with the expanding/ permit etc.

friend of mine did the same with his garage but hes always busy and he also got a baby 2 days ago.

If it was up to me this is what I would build to spend the rest of my days in. 3 car garage with a 1 bedroom apartment above it. But we are moving to the beach and the wife wants to have room for when the kids come to visit. Maybe if I double the size to 6 cars and 3 bedrooms she would go for it. One can only wish.

A755A3F-0.jpgA755A3F-0-UPPER.jpg

• Like 1

sure - just let me know before you come out here. bring some short pants with you, its hot here during the summer :P

I did a month in Borrego Springs in August/September, I know what it's like.

There was a bad ass camera store in town, I hope it's still there...

I want to win the lotto so bad. I basically want a massive 2 story pole building with a workshop man cave downstairs and the upstairs would be a sweet living area. I'm talking about a massive pole barn like a big airplane hanger. i could go with a regular ranch house with a moderate pole barn too, but I just want to have a sweet pimped out metal/woodworking shop. I just want to be able to any kind of project my mind decides to do. I will have to get a wall of Festool just because its what you do when you get into woodworking :)

• Like 2

Awwww DR low blow man..... Lol!!! U gotta have some love for the yellow team...

Hey you would still get free Dewalt tools it wouldn't be that bad :) Bosch would be Tuesday, Wednesday Makita they have hot ladies so that's perfect for hump day. Who would be the perfect brands for Saturday and Sunday? Ryobi for Saturday weekend warriors?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

here is a cool idea for recycling the exterior wall on the side you want to expand

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/tips/recycled-garage-wall.aspx

Its very hard to price something like that without seeing or knowing anything about where  you live..   If you wanted some off the hip numbers i would expect around 5-7500 just for the excavation and foundation work

a guestimate for the labor and material  to hire out the framing, roofing, siding, windows/doors, electrical and some bare bones finishing of the interior might be in the 20,000 range..

again dont hold me to any of these numbers, this is just a 30 second guess based on no facts about what your trying to accomplish also assuming there is no floor above the new proposed garage space. 

your best bet is to get a few local contractors out there, be honest with them and tell them your just in the planning stages now and you dont want them to sink a ton of time into a full blown quote but you are just looking for quick ballpark numbers to determine feasibility. 

good luck

• Like 1

around here permits are based on the cost of the job and typically run about $13/$1000 of job cost so they arent a big cost. check with your town building department.. you also may want to check with the town zoning department to make sure you can actually build where you want to.   any decent contractor shouldn't mind getting a permit for the job. 

most likly the town will want to inspect the foundation before its backfilled, rough framing, electrical/plumbing rough, Insulation if necessary, possibly the roofing and then a finish inspection once its all wrapped up..   the framing, electrical/plumbing and roofing can usually be wrapped into one trip

John

• Like 1