So I was wondering because the Stanley Black and Decker company owns:

-Dewalt

-Black and Decker

-Porter Cable

-Mac tools

And all these brands have a 20 volt max lithium ion cordless line does that mean that they are interchangeable. I'm just wondering if you could say:

-Go buy a Black and Decker 20 volt cordless hedge trimmer and run it on Dewalt batteries.

-Charge up a porter cable battery pack with a Dewalt charger

Because I know that mac tools runs their new cordless line on the Dewalt 20 volt batteries as an option but can it go beyond that.

To answer both your questions and fuel the desire to pi$s and moan about it. Nope. Why help the consumer out when you can make them buy multiple tool lines and multiple batteries and spend more money? I have a Dewalt brushless hammer drill and the B&D Autosense drill. Both are parent companies, bot have 20v batteries. Neither work together.

Just a little fyi the 20v batteries are actually18 volts if you didn't know. It's marketing bs everyone does it 12v tools are really 10.8 but everyone took that rating a used it with their 12volt tools. I don't get why Dewalt batteries could not run a lower level tool. I get that SBS dosen't want you to run a premium tool with B&D batteries, and maybe the cells in the B&D packs couldn't handle the high amperage draw with out damaging the tool or battery pack. I'm sure plenty of people would like to be able to use Dewalt batteries on Black and Decker products because they could buy them as a bare tool, one less battery platform to worry about, and Dewalt has no cordless outdoor tools. Makita is the only pro brand that offers outdoor tools like a string trimmer, and leaf blower. The Mac thing was the only time they made batteries cross compatible. I think that was for cost reasons Mac wouldn't generate the volume to justify another battery pack design.

Yea too bad companies can lie about there products they sell in north america.

But on the topic of brand interchanging ability I want to buy some Milwaukee tools but don't want to have to start using 2 different batteries so I got the idea for this little device.

Here is a concept photo:

Picture1_zps644ff646.png

• Like 1

I Didn't find it I came up with the idea and made a rendering.

But I might make one in my garage with a plastic welder. If I can come across a cheap bare dewalt tool or power source and order a cheap made in china Milwaukee battery case online. But I don't know about the wiring

I got the idea only last night so don't expect me to have one done by tomorrow. I made the picture with Microsoft Paint.

Some other ideas I have:

-2x20V max into 36 volt dewalt adapter

-20V max into makita adapter

Why doesn't TTI allow you to use Milwaukee batteries in Ryobi or Ridgid tools? 

The other reason why europe didn't go with the 20v name is because the 18v platform there was a fraction of what it is in the US. I assume they stopped selling 18v stem packs as soon as XR/20v/slide packs came out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Who knows, probably the same reasons the SB&D haven't. But pointing to the competition and saying 'well they haven't either' isn't actually an answer :)

The other reason why europe didn't go with the 20v name is because the 18v platform there was a fraction of what it is in the US. I assume they stopped selling 18v stem packs as soon as XR/20v/slide packs came out.

the answer for that one is easier because tti doesn't own ridgid or ryobi. Only Milwaukee. A good example would be Samsung. They make products of their own brand and are a huge oem. They make the majority of the parts for iPhones for their biggest competitor apple. If this isn't true today it was just a couple of years ago. It wouldn't make sense for Samsung to make interchangeable user replaceable parts between the two brands

the answer for that one is easier because tti doesn't own ridgid or ryobi. Only Milwaukee. A good example would be Samsung. They make products of their own brand and are a huge oem. They make the majority of the parts for iPhones for their biggest competitor apple. If this isn't true today it was just a couple of years ago. It wouldn't make sense for Samsung to make interchangeable user replaceable parts between the two brands

TTI does in fact own Milwaukee, Ryobi and AEG (among others) they make tools for Ridgid but do not own them. Emerson owns Ridgid

Here is a neat article http://toolguyd.com/tool-brands-corporate-affiliations/

• 2 weeks later...

I think the battery cell itself doesn't do the work the different companies market it as, the brain of the battery technology is where the difference is. If dewalt spends more in research and developing they can come up with a longer lasting more powerful battery then Milwaukee and visa versa.....via the chip not the cells......well all companies for that matter.....

I think the battery cell itself doesn't do the work the different companies market it as, the brain of the battery technology is where the difference is. If dewalt spends more in research and developing they can come up with a longer lasting more powerful battery then Milwaukee and visa versa.....via the chip not the cells......well all companies for that matter.....

Yea I need to get a the tamper-proof bit to get inside them look at the chip and see what it does, I will probably run it on an oscilloscope and try to counteract it with some small microcontroller inside the adapter.