Pictues From Work today

Jordan.M

Are you one of those crazy people that love that rush of adrenaline? That's just insane the whole live wire working from helicopters. I have also seen them live wire work from insulated platforms. I'm with Regiopit on this one even-though being in the ground and in the dirt all the time with natural gas has to take its tole on your body. It just seems safer to me with explosive gas detectors and all the other meters it just seems safer than being a linesman. After seeing pics and videos of people getting electrocuted and arc flashes anything over 120 scares the crap out of me. I was wondering Regiopit can you still smell natural gas after all these years? I read a story somewhere where some guys cause an explosion working on a live gas line and didn't have a explosive gas detector on them. They mentioned that you lose sensitivity to the smell it if you work in that trade.

Not really the adrenaline rush as much as being part of something bigger. How many people climb cell towers in the world? 11,000 maybe... Even less working from helicopters on live 500kv lines.. That's why I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like fun, spent last week doing some site surveys for new services and went up several mountains, im in northern arizona, its not flat and warm, its friggin cold and will be snowing soon. i do not envy those who climb the towers here, how does climbing at 10k feet on top of mountain sound?   

• Like 2

looks like fun, spent last week doing some site surveys for new services and went up several mountains, im in northern arizona, its not flat and warm, its friggin cold and will be snowing soon. i do not envy those who climb the towers here, how does climbing at 10k feet on top of mountain sound?   

Sounds slightly better then climbing in the north and in BC.

• Like 1

Are you in Flagstaff?

It's crazy how they did things back in the day. No harness tie offs or anything. They would just give you a bucket of paint a brush and say go at it just don't fall, and if you do don't expect any compensation to your family. It was pretty brutal back in the day. I think we have gone a little too far to the right now with safety. Osha wants you to tie off on 2 story house now that isn't enclosed. They must have some horrible statistics that show what happens. I personally hate ladders the newer ones are cool but and older one man they just feel shitty too work on.

here is a view for ya.....painting eiffel tower 1932......

I love that picture, the dudes in that pic are the baddest mofos. Its crazy how things change just like DR99 said, but in the tower industry it still isnt as safe as it should ben unfortunately. 

Some contractors require tying off above 6 feet, but on a 8 foot ladder if you tie off it literally does nothing to arrest your fall, so a harness only makes it more dangerous adding extra weight to throw you off balance lol.  It takes around 15-18 feet to arrest a fall in a standard harness. So if there is something 10 feet below you or 14 feet below you, you will still hit at a super fast speed....

uQbB49C.gif

I'm having a panic attack just looking at this photo

I just about had one working on here for the first time, my buddy says "wait till you feel the static" lol it feels like stuff is crawling all over you nonstop. The lines actually shake there is so much current running through at that 250kv voltage.