Makita BRUSHLESS 18V Grinder review - DGA504Z

dwain

nice review, I am considering makita when i jump into a line of tools.

Jonesna8, I have owned makita lxt 18v tools for the last 7 or so years, I use them professionally every day and don't baby them yet all of my original tools are still working. The quality it top notch.

over the years my collection has grown to over 20 tools and lights/radios and now 15 batteries. I have also never experienced any issues with the batteries (never lost one before many years of hard use which can be expected)

Ironically, 6 months ago I may not have recommended Makita due only to the fact that they really weren't releasing new tools to update some of their aging models.. That has all changed now.

Makita is back at it, completely revamping a solid chunk of their line and dominating!!

If and when you pull the trigger on cordless tools, you won't be disappointed with Makita!!

Jonesna8, I have owned makita lxt 18v tools for the last 7 or so years, I use them professionally every day and don't baby them yet all of my original tools are still working. The quality it top notch.

over the years my collection has grown to over 20 tools and lights/radios and now 15 batteries. I have also never experienced any issues with the batteries (never lost one before many years of hard use which can be expected)

Ironically, 6 months ago I may not have recommended Makita due only to the fact that they really weren't releasing new tools to update some of their aging models.. That has all changed now.

Makita is back at it, completely revamping a solid chunk of their line and dominating!!

If and when you pull the trigger on cordless tools, you won't be disappointed with Makita!!

My dad went from older DeWalt nicad tools to makita drill and impact set a couple years ago. I hadnt used alot of makita tools other than my dads miter box. I borrowed his impact and drill to help my brother in law build his deck and i was really impressed. Then last year when i was working at the Milwaukee Brewers, we hosted Spartan Race and we used makitas to built all the obstacles they fell off a wall from about 10 feet onto concrete, it was raining all day and a few times they got very wet including laying in puddles, I was really impressed after that day. 

That and now my brother in law, dad and a friend of my dad has the makita drill and impact 18v sets so itd be nice just to have the same platform as them when helping each other out.

I am dating myself a bit here but when I was working in the fab shop we had at least 20 or so 4-1/2 grinders and a dozen or so 7" grinders all Makita.......we also had about 15 or so Milwaukee grinders.........truth be told both had their problems but these things were used to the max day in and day out........ya got to realize some of these grinders were going around the clock, life for a grinder was low regardless brand anyway long story short........I decided to go with Milwaukee line of tools for my personal home use not because they were COMPLETELY better but because besides holding up a bit more the service was 3 to 1 ......

Oh NER i thought you are a festool snob :D

And now you reveal that information haha

HAHA. I sure do like my Festool but I haven't gotten into any of their cordless tools.. they really don't have a big selection of tools in their lineup, I don't think their offerings are any better than what makita or others have and I really don't like that their quick change chucks use a proprietary bit called "centrotec" rather than just the standard 1/4" bit..

Does anyone know what the 5" model number is here in the U.S.? (that is if it has been released here) I can only find the 4-1/2" version (XAG03) for sale.

No 5" in the US at this time. I have no clue if there is actually any differences in the motor between the European 5" model and the US 4.5" my guess is no.. both diameter wheels have the same size arbor, correct? Just throw a 5" on the XAG03. If your concerned with using the guards, I'll try to remember to measure them tomorrow and let you know if they will fit a 5" disc.

FYI I'm pretty sure the larger disc you use the less powerful the unit will appear (something like that) you may want to consider sticking with the 4.5" disc for the performance.

Posted this in another spot too but thought I'd post it here too

I did a super quick, by no means detailed or accurate test but the results are very clear.

My old Makita BGA452 vs my new XAG03

2 fresh off the charger batteries

2 minutes on the clock

1 3/8 galvanized pipe about 3/32 wall thickness

the BGA452 made 5 cuts (I tried to push it as hard as I could without stalling, did stall once) 2/3 bars of battery remaining after the 2 minutes

the XAG03 made 8 cuts and never even came close to stalling 3/3 bars of battery remaining after the 2 minutes

60% faster!!

Again this was a very crude test but I was stoked by the results and thought I'd share

Put the new grinder to work last night for the first time.. cutting steel supports for under some counter tops at a school I do occasional work at.
It was dark, no outside power that I knew of and definitely no cutting inside, perfect job for a cordless! To top it off there was a nice light rain (put the XPT to use)
Both ends of 2 pieces of 2"x1"x1/8" chanel had to be squared and notched to fit existing legs and braces. Also bevel all cuts with a grinding wheel.
The grinder never struggled and one 3ah battery was plenty

---picture removed---