Circuit breaking grinder!

carl

I have a Craftsman bench grinder, (6 inch, 2.8 amp) that has begun instantly blowing the circuit breaker when the grinder is switched on. There are no obvious shorts (no loose wires touching, etc.). Aside from the motor itself, there is only the on/off switch and some sort of transformer inside the grinder housing.

Anyone have any clue what could be causing this problem? Thanks very much.

Well I am sure you tried this but have to ask. Have you tried a different outlet or tried to plug something else into that outlet just to make sure the breaker is not bad? If you don't see any obvious cuts in the wire and everything else looks good, maybe it is that transformer you were talking about, but ever short I ever had was beacuse a cut in the wire. I would wait because I know there are some great tool experets that come on here.

• 1 month later...

yes, i am sure u have check things about outlet and socket, and i am not sure what kind of matter happened in your bench grinder, but i can give u a suggestion that you could use your ohmmeter to measure the resistance between the positive pole and the negative pole with the switch keeping on, if the resistance is very small, the tool would be ok, if the resistance is very big, which means ur tool would be broken down, then u could measure the resistance between different location of the circuit to find which parts are failure