drywall screwgun or dimpler ?

madman_us

im planning on dry walling my 2 car garage (walls and ceiling)

and also a bathroom (walls and ceiling)

now I just have to make a decision if I just buy a drywall screw gun for 100 bucks or just a dimpler for 5-10 bucks and mount it to my cordless drill. anyone experience with those dimplers? do they work out?

• Like 1

If your doing a ceiling you might want to go with a collated gun just so you can have a free hand. It sucks doing drywall ceilings. Cpo tyler tool has a refurbished Ridged pretty cheap which is a re badged Senco unit anyways. http://www.tylertool.com/factory-reconditioned-ridgid-zrr6791-collated-screw-gun/rgdrzrr6791,default,pd.html?zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=667&zmap=rgdrzrr6791&ref=tylercipla&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=RGDRZRR6791&gclid=CNP4zIiYxMECFY5cMgodV0MAiA

ya the price is pretty good.

is it possible to buy the strips without the screws separate ? because I got 2 big boxes of drywall screws for free...then I can load the strips myself as a magazine or something ( if im wrong or something don't laugh :P I have really no idea about that stuff )

i have used a dimpler many times with drywall and its great. it bottoms out just in time to set the screw perfectly. its a lot cheaper then buying a drywall gun but the big problem with dimplers is you will strip the dimpler head out a lot so make sure you buy a lot of extra ones.

if you already have the screws, and since you are doing this work on your own house where time isnt as important then i would say just use the dimplers  you can google the "Bosch Dimpler" which seems to be a step up from the little 1" bits

I have used the 1" bits with the collar fixed in place on smaller patches and they work well ..  you will probably blow through a dozen of them with that size job so factor that into the cost .  

also check ebay for a cheap used drywall screw gun.. you can probably pick up something decent that will get you though your job for $25, that will probably be your fastest and cheapest option

new tools are always cool but if you are never gonna use a collated drill again in your life then i say use that money on another tool you will get more use out of..   

now.. here is some food for thought.   if you have never done drywall work before..... it sucks!   hanging it is the easy part and thats not even all too enjoyable.   based on a basic 2 car garage 8 foot ceilings doing walls and ceilings and a regular sized bathroom walls and ceilings, for all the materials (probably around 60 sheets of 4x8) including the sheets, compound, your lift, some sort of bits or cheap drill, joint tape, t square and sandpaper your gonna be very close to $1000 in materials alone..   just for shits and giggles you may want to consider having a few contractors quote the job.  you may find that its not even worth you doing the work for what you will save!

not trying to deter you, just give you options to think about. 

• Like 1

NERemodeling makes a good point drywall sucks. I do my own on small jobs but for a full 2 car garage or multi rooms I have a sub come in and do it. They are in and out in no time. Then on the other hand if you like to drive yourself to your limits by all means have at it. One or two things will happen you will like it of hate it.

• Like 1

Hanging rock isn't too bad the worst part is mudding and sanding. I'm sorry unless you do it often enough you just don't get that ability to put on the drywall mud with a nice even coat. It makes sanding so much easier and less messy. If I could just pay someone to mud the seams I would be happy :) Also would be nice to have a Festool Planex drywall sander :)

• Like 2

Dry wall mudding is a black art skill as I call it. You can get better if you do it enough, but you will never get as good as some guys they just have a natural talent to lay on the mud like an artist is with a brush. What other jobs would you say where there is just a natural talent to doing the job?

• 3 weeks later...