DeWALT tracks/guiderails

Mr. Yellow

Keeping in minded arm Yellow, they sell different sizes of the screw clamps that'll go right into the tracks for you rail. I know they sell the clamp you pictured at my local Woodcraft, which might cost a little more fro you to buy if you have to come to Newington NH, United State of America, from Europe but hey....they're worth it ;)

I got the rapid clamp. Was at my dealer today and they actually had one in stock. It does not fit. The DeWALT clamps may fit the Festool tracks, but this Festool clamp will not fit the DeWALT tracks. I brought it home anyway as it seemed to be quite an easy fix.

However, another problem is that the clamp in it's normal position will also interfere with the sword/chain. Not designed thoroughly as the handle swivels towards the chain/blade side and sticks out underneath the track. So it will still interfere with the sword/chain.

I read somewhere that the handle also swivels to the other side for use with their own beamsaw. Doesn't seem to be true as it will only swivel one way. Guess I'll return it and looks for another solution.

Hey, that seems like a solution! I'll look into it. Thanks!! :)

No problem!

Only issue I see is the angle to which it will clamp to your stock. 22.5 degrees is as far as it will go. So if you need to miter more than that, we'll have to come up with another option or modification. But with large stock like you're cutting, you can turn it to accept the 45 degree bevel you get from the saw.

@ KWC.

Good point, but then the rapid clamp still wouldn't work. It would fit the rail, but it swivels to the wrong side. They should have designed it so that it swivels away from the blade, not towards it. 

Did some searching and I found that Protool had this clamp (GRP-Rapid) and it was specifically for use wit their beam saw.

AND that clamp swivelled to the other side. Festool must have changed it.

I found a shop that has the Protool, so I think I'll get this and get a short YouTool track (same as Festool only cheaper)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So finally all set and done. I bought myself another DeWALT track, 150cm for use with only this saw.

Then I used my tablesaw to widen the gap in the slot where the clamps are mounted. The Protool/Festool clamps, as posted earlier, do not fit out of the box. Upon examinating the clamps it was easier to just widen the gap on the rail than to try and modify the clamps.

It only needed 2mm of cutting (1mm each side) so it would slide in nicely.

Then I also chopped up one side of the track for angled cuts. The saw itselfs has 2 slots in the base to ride on the track; one for square cuts and one for angles. When you use it for angles the saw sits well over the edge of the track and the rubber strip has no use as the chain will not even touch it. So to 'fix' this I took about 10mm off of one side so I can cut square and angled using the same slot of the saw. Just need to flip the track.

Clamps work fine. So now it's ready to rock :)

Did it this afternoon. Not really much to it. Took more time getting the tools out and setup than the actual work.

Yeah, I did measure twice before cutting into the track. I did cut off the antisplinterstrip so the side of the track would sit flush with the fence of my saw. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to get a straight cut. I needed to replace the strips anyway because of my modifications.

(luckily found a much cheaper alternative on eBay. DeWALT, Festool and others are charging ridiculous amounts for a piece of rubber. DeWALT only sells it in one length of 300cm and it costs around €45 here. Go figure, if I need to replace my long track I need 2 of them and I'm running €90 just to get a clean cut on 1 track. Crazy!)

Got them from eBay from a guy in Germany. Cheap shipping too. Really saves you a lot over the original ones.

Here you go

Another alternative is http://www.youtool.de, but I don't have any experience with them.

They do however sell the friction and glide strips as well. Something the guy from eBay doesn't.

Then this will save you some hard earned money :)

I've seen a promo from DeWALT where they offered a custom rail with the circular saw DWE576, but I don't need the saw (already own one) and although it's nice to have a custom rail, I'd be too concerned about scratching it.

That said, I am photoshopping a pair of stickers as I type this, to stick on my rails so the next time someone uses my tracksaw they'd be damn sure to use the right side for the appropiate cut. Getting tired of replacing the splinterstrip after someone else tears it up.

This is pretty straightforward I hope...

Guiderail-Stickers-0%C2%B0.png

Guiderail-Stickers-1-47%C2%B0.png

This is what happened last time my brother asked if he could borrow my tracksaw.

Got it back the next day looking like this...

geleiderail.JPG

I was well pissed as I had just replaced the strips the day before. Currently waiting for the new ones to come in.

Another thing I'm wondering about as I haven't seen anyone pointing this out, is if it's normal behaviour of the DWS520 when you do beveled cuts it won't touch the splinter strip (cut off square)? It's this way on my saw. The blade sits 2-3mm from the edge of the strip.

Festool doesn't have this, so does Mafell and I think any other brand. Or is my saw faulty?

Anyway, since the tracks have 2 sides it's not really a problem, but would've been nice to use the sides for 2 different kerf sizes and not worry about square or beveled cuts.

I do know the DWS520 has had 2 revisions (I own a type 1) but I don't exactly know what those updates were. I believe one is the blade locking system for changing out blades.

I don't know. I haven't been able to ask him yet. He came by the jobsite to bring it back and laughted and said he tore the strip.

I assumed it was a joke because up front I said he needed to take care as I had just replaced the strip. He was not joking...

Oh well, on the positive side, he missed the aluminum by a hair. Twice!  :)

Oi, across it? It baffles me how people sometimes use tools. Crazy.

Cheers. Yeah, I figured they wouldn't change that with a revision. Hopefully when (and if) a new model comes out.

Then they could bring back the cordless model for the XR range.

Stickers are done. Now I only have to find a place that can print them cheap.

The design is in my second to last post. Nothing fancy since they can only be about 26mm high (between the glide strips)