What are Festools?

I have been looking around at getting a new orbital sander. I am starting to notice a company called Festools. They seem to be very expenisive compared to other companies and just wondering why. Does anyone have any experience with these? Why are they so expensive? Any feedback would be great.

Interesting you are asking about this power tool. I just heard about them a couple months ago. Currently I don't know toomuch about them, but we are going to test some of their tools shortly. I am very curious about these tools. Once we are done with the testing, we are going to open it up and take a closer look at the tool and see what actually is inside. We will post all this when we are done with the testing.

I talked with a couple guys on a jobsite. Festools started in 1925 in Germany. The guys I talked to like them a lot. One of their cordless drills has an interchangable chuck which can be nice. I will talk to some more people to see what they say and provide any feedback I get.

• 3 weeks later...

I sell Festool and had the privilege of going to one of their (1st!) trainings. I also sell almost all the big names, bosch-Dewalt, Delta-Powermatic. Festool is unlike any other brand I've seen on the market. The person who tends to buy Festool are guys that do remodeling inside homes. Mostly for their Dust Collection. It's 2nd to NO ONE (that I've seen). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65uHbYMrkU <-- that link is a You tube video about a router... Quite nice!

More to the topic that was asked.. I watched him take Cherry down from raw finish into a finish so nice you'd think it was coated... He used the Rotex sander... I mean.. you could see the light shine off the wood... If you have any questions email me or my buddie brian@cpocommerce.com or Ryan@cpocommerce.com Ryan knows 10x more than I do about the brand.

Site Admin(s):

I couldn't find any rules on your website about offering services (I did see the form for it). Could you email me or leave me a message if it is ok to post links to our site?

• 4 weeks later...

Festool's line is built around the dust extractor and multifunction tables with portability in mind. Their sanders, routers, portable plunge cut saws, planers, and the new Kapex slide miter saw are 80-99% dust free when used in conjunction with their dust extractors.

I personally own A LOT of Festool products and am a believer.

Kris

http://www.toolsandmachinery.com/festool-4912/

• 1 year later...

They make a very fine Jig saw , probably the best ever . Their Cordless drills are top notch and very versatile , very expensive and top notch . They use a chucking system that gives you a number of options including 1/4 " hex and 90 degree angle . The only guys I have seen using them are top notch Euro trained cabinetmakers and finish carpenters .

I want to try their stuff in the worst way , I'm no stranger to expensive Euro tools ( Hilti and Metabo ) , but I hear these guys are really something special .

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Festool is some good stuff. A buddy of mine sings their praises constantly. They're basically his dream tools. Of course, the price will scare many people away. A lot of times, you can get a good alternative for quite a bit less, though. I always recommend to read online reviews on specific types of tools. In fact, Makita had a "plunge cut" circular saw come out about a year ago. Beforfe this, Festool ruled this segment. I read a review that said with the Makita, you basically don't need to spend all the extra money on Festool. Of course this is just one review, but it brings up a good point. The biggest thing to look at is how much you need the tools. It's not worth spending crazy amounts of money if you don't need to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have three Porter Cable grip to fit (GTF) work horse drills, 5 - 10 years old, Nicad, 5 lb 10 oz. weight. I have three of this well worn but fine product because I keep different bits in each - drill, screwdriver, etc, rather than changing bits on a large, many piece project. I am aware of the Festool incompatibility with my drawer full of 1/4" hex bits and have printed articles form the knowledge base here. I have read same comment from other users. Aside from the catalog, what source of literature is available with descriptive simply-put marketing specifications/descriptions of the different models of Festool drills that I can consider.

Size and WEIGHT are my concern as the same 5 - 10 years have aged me more than these tools. I really like the idea of the offset chuck for close lateral drilling, and shorter distance from the object front to back close quarters.