Power Tool Reviews - What would you like to see

Wow where to begin. How about everything. Just kidding. I think a good test would to be go head to head with three popular drills to see what one is truly the best. I see everyone is talking about Makita, Milwaukee and Dewalt drills. I have my favorite, but would still love to see what the differences are. Just a thought, but I would be happy to learn about any power tool.

Well since you are taking opinions and everyone has one, I might as well give my two cents. Milwaukee is coming out with their new miter saws. Just curious how these are considering it is one of the first new tools since the change of ownership. Just more curious to see whats inside and if the quality is good.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I would like to line up battery circular saws and see which really cuts the furthest using each manufacturers top of the range battery.

It would also be interesting to do the same with battery jigsaws all with the same brand new blade in each one and again the manufacturers top of the range battery.

I would like to line up battery circular saws and see which really cuts the furthest using each manufacturers top of the range battery.

It would also be interesting to do the same with battery jigsaws all with the same brand new blade in each one and again the manufacturers top of the range battery.

As for circular saws, My informal testing lead me to the Hilti wsc 7.25-a. This is the saw you want if you are looking to cut the most wood per charge. Kicks but on all the other 28v-36v saws, and works on Festools tracks to boot.

I fell out with Hilti a long time ago pal I only have 1 Hilti tool left and that is a GX100 and that is only because I have a shed load of nails left for it.

Why no Hilti? I felt the Bosch 36v saw was the second best. It was only a 6 1/2" saw and it is blade left, so it had two strikes against it in my book. I don't care for blade left sidewinders and I'm often working with 4"x materials so need the extra cutting depth of the 7 1/2" blade. The Bosch has a decent run time, and the rafter hook is a nice addition. You could get a set of their tools as well, and they have two sizes of batteries in their 36v range. Their 36v roto-hammer is sweet. I may eventually invest in one.

My issue with Hilti was true cost of ownership, when they signed up people to a scheme they ran.( I also have a problem with one of it's founders)

I am also right handed so I prefer circular saws where the blade is on the left of the motor, so it is easier to see the cut line.

A battery circular saw is one of the few tools I no longer own, as I found I was happier using corded.

However my cordless jigsaw is so good I got rid of my corded version all together.

My issue with Hilti was true cost of ownership, when they signed up people to a scheme they ran.( I also have a problem with one of it's founders)

We don't have any schemes here other than some of the contracts that Hilti offers. You buy your tool, you use your tool, that is it.

I do here that their contracts are pricey, but exceptionally well supported.

I am also right handed so I prefer circular saws where the blade is on the left of the motor, so it is easier to see the cut line.

A battery circular saw is one of the few tools I no longer own, as I found I was happier using corded.

However my cordless jigsaw is so good I got rid of my corded version all together.

I'm right handed as well, I do not like having the saws weight on the off cut side, I prefer to have the weight of the saw on the supported end of the work. I'm also not really a fan of how some blade left saws fill my pockets and pouches with sawdust. I do work with both types of saws though. Most of my heavy work finds me using my Skil hd77. I find my cordless circular saw indispensable for some of the jobs I do out in the woods, where it is just not practical to drag a generator.

Which cordless jig saw is it that convinced you to cut the cord?

Hitli and Bosch are great cordless circular saws, but I have to say for 18V, the Milwaukee is very impressive. I have been using one for a long time and that thing rips through wood fast and never bogs down. On the other hand the Dewalt 20V is disappointing. For Jigs saw, I love the Milwaukee and Bosch, but can't say I used a lot of other brands of cordless.

I'm still a little agro over Milwaukee and how long they had the V18 line out. I invested pretty heavily and they were only out for what 18 months, before they switched over to the M18. I was still using my 18v NiCd system and the backwards capability of the V18 worked well with me.

I don't really pay much attention to Metabo as they are not widely available here in the backwoods of Florida. I already carry 5 chargers and don't really look forward to having to carry another. I will be taking a closer look when my Makita LXTs start wearing out. Dewalt is just like every other brand, they have some hits and some misses. I have used some of a friends set and their cordless jigsaw seemed to work alright and their new XRP hammer drill seems to be a good solid tool. I did get a lemon of a router set from them though, the DW618B3 after two warranty repairs they finally replaced it with a new one, which has proven to be reliable, edge guide sucks though.

I know what you mean about the chargers lol.

It is hard even here to get feed back on some tools before you buy but I like to think I would be honest if I bought a pup of a tool.

The metabo range is a lot smaller in the number of tools in it, but thus far I can't complain about the 18v tools they have been very very good.

There are many tools I would like to review but many are not available over here in the U.K.

I would be interested in a self feed bit showdown, especially if it featured bits larger than 1". I would really be interested in a laboratory showdown of regular twist drills, testing both plasticity and hardness, to find out which drills can take the most abuse and which one would last the longest. Spade or auger bits could be interesting as well, with all the newer auger bits claiming nail cutting ability, that could be an interesting test

• Like 1

I would love to review some of those Milwaukee self feed drill bits but can't get them over here.

And would like a hands on with the fuel range and the new Hilti drill driver and impact drivers. :)

Hiltis current line of impact drivers have a reputation of being fragile. They tend to break at the handle if they are dropped the wrong way. Can't say I like the raygun styling of their cordless drill either, hope they get back to business with their new tools. The SD 5000-A22 screw driver looks like it might be interesting to me, as long as its not made in China.