new wrench set advice

BIGBEARJT

there's nothing like having a set of shiny new ratcheting wrenches in the toolbox, i recently purchased the reversible Dewalt ones and really like them.

but i must admit, for a space saving set that i picked up on runout in Bunnings (Aus version of HD?) these are incredibly handy, and are very weighty (feel strong). they get very mixed reviews on Amazon, so maybe look into other brands, though I've loved my set. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BRKN63U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B009L86A7O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=15XNAA7DBEJEKQ4ZPNA4

• 4 weeks later...

after looking around, im thinking about set of ratcheting wrenches, at least 10 piece per size set, anyone have any feedback on this husky set from HD, 20 piece SAE/METRIC set for $50 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-SAE-Metric-Combination-Ratcheting-Wrench-Set-20-Piece-HRW20PCSM/205191132

OMG!!!! NO!!!!! The bionic wrench is not what we're suggesting! Holy Mary Mother of God! No! No! No!

BBJT: you give me a budget and I'll give you the best option. Metric or SAE?

I never seen Conductor freak out that bad before!! I think he would be calmer if there was a runaway train with a baby on the tracks after that reaction he had on the bionic wrench.

I never seen Conductor freak out that bad before!! I think he would be calmer if there was a runaway train with a baby on the tracks after that reaction he had on the bionic wrench.

Heck, I had to fight back a string of four-letter expletives myself...

after looking around, im thinking about set of ratcheting wrenches, at least 10 piece per size set, anyone have any feedback on this husky set from HD, 20 piece SAE/METRIC set for $50 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-SAE-Metric-Combination-Ratcheting-Wrench-Set-20-Piece-HRW20PCSM/205191132

If ratcheting wrenches are your choice, and you're on a budget, my pics would be the Dewalt ($182 for the 20 piece Metric and SAE sets) or the Tekton flex sets ($134 for the 20 piece Metric and SAE sets).

For $50 the Husky set is a good value though. Hard to pass on them at that price. Both the Tekton and Dewalt sets are Taiwan made and will be better quality than the Chinese Husky set, but I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. 

Heck, I had to fight back a string of four-letter expletives myself...

I remember reading that the guy that invented the BionicWrench was inspired to create it when he saw his son struggling to bust a fastener on his lawnmower with a pair of pliers. I couldn't help but wonder how he figured it was easier to invent that contraption than it was to hand the goofy little bastard the wrench he should have been using to start with.

• Like 1

I remember reading that the guy that invented the BionicWrench was inspired to create it when he saw his son struggling to bust a fastener on his lawnmower with a pair of pliers. I couldn't help but wonder how he figured it was easier to invent that contraption than it was to hand the goofy little bastard the wrench he should have been using to start with.

LOL conductor!! So true....

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a HF close to you, their tools really aren't too bad. All Pittsburgh hand tools have lifetime warranty.

I have been using HF 301 pc mechanics tool set for over a year and have been very happy with it. I have used the ratcheting wrenches with a cheater bar and have yet to strip the gears. I do not have impact sockets either and have yet to bust one of these sockets with a 1/2 inch impact wrench. I only paid $160 for the set and it paid for itself the first time I changed my brakes and rotors. Harbor freight is hit or miss, but so far the pittsburgh wrenches and sockets have been great. 

Not all Gearwrench stuff is China, but some is. The ratcheting combos are. All those sets Sears has for sale on Black Friday are China made.

The Gearwrench faithful claims there are 2 separate lines, one China, one Taiwan, but I don't believe that. I believe they switched production to China and it's taken awhile to disperse with the leftover Taiwan stuff.