so I need a new router

astroboy

I work in theatre so the majority of my router work is flushing 3/4" plywood tops onto riser sides or flushing up to templates. I also make a lot of bullnose out of pine 1x3.

I've had a 3.25 hp makita 3612c plunge router forever. (I have no idea when it was bought. 15 years ago? probably longer.

but the controls are getting stiffer and stiffer so we're gonna spring for a new on for the shop.

any suggestions? As much as I hate the bulk, I think I should stick with the higher hp router

if your not routing production there is no need for that much power, what you say your doing can be done easily with a 2 1/4 HP...

Fine woodworking Magazine just had a router shoot out with Bosch Milwaukee and Dewalt coming in top 3.....yes I still read actual magazines....... 

Has the shop set a limit on how much they want to spend. I would get the Festool 2200 EB. It's a tool that will last forever and its not on your dime so why not have a nice tool to work with everyday. https://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/routers/of-2200-eb-router-574354 The only other thing You can't go wrong with Bosch, Makita or Milwaukee either. some people really like the bodygrip on the Milwaukee.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the Festool OF1400 and love it. I had the Milwaukee and that was a great router. Really solid. I'd lean towards Bosch. Like DR said, the OF2200 is the bees knees and will take any abuse you throw at it, just like anything else from Festool, but when your dropping that many bones on a shop tool it'd break my heart to see that thing abused. If money is an issue, I'd go with Porter Cable. It's a tried and true design and although they seem to be making more if not all of their routers in Mexico as opposed the USA, it is still a quality machine which I have used and like. If a bit more money is available, I'd go with the Bosch or the Milwaukee (as I've used the latter).