New Shop Underway!

ChrisK

Thanks guys! Today I didn't do too much but I used my Domino to make a couple of quick ha gets for a few small hand measuring things. It took a piece of warped wood that was used to ship my Festool 106" track that came in the other day. After spending some time chopping the wood to roughly equal lengths and thickness, I used my Kapex to cut a dado into five inch length that I is going to secure the blade of one of my Woodpecker squares. Tomorrow I'll paint the hangers.

Thanks guys! Today I didn't do too much but I used my Domino to make a couple of quick ha gets for a few small hand measuring things. It took a piece of warped wood that was used to ship my Festool 106" track that came in the other day. After spending some time chopping the wood to roughly equal lengths and thickness, I used my Kapex to cut a dado into five inch length that I is going to secure the blade of one of my Woodpecker squares. Tomorrow I'll paint the hangers.

I've been watching some of Jimmy Diresta's builds and he is making me want a Domino in a bad way!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Kruton....coolest tool ever. Absolutely awesome machine. I've got five different bits for a variety of dimensions. They have the XL also but way too big for me right now but a small company, Seneca, came out with a mod for the XL that allows you to use the smaller bits giving it a huge range. But the XL as its name implies is freakin' huge. The big thing with the Domino is you really need some type of DC be it a Festool vac or whatever as it cuts through the wood leaving a lot of wood chips in the mortise as it cuts. This naturally needs to be sucked out as it cuts as it can slow and dull the blade.

Kruton....coolest tool ever. Absolutely awesome machine. I've got five different bits for a variety of dimensions. They have the XL also but way too big for me right now but a small company, Seneca, came out with a mod for the XL that allows you to use the smaller bits giving it a huge range. But the XL as its name implies is freakin' huge. The big thing with the Domino is you really need some type of DC be it a Festool vac or whatever as it cuts through the wood leaving a lot of wood chips in the mortise as it cuts. This naturally needs to be sucked out as it cuts as it can slow and dull the blade.

I can see where it would be really handy. This may be my first Festool because I really want to try one out. I haven't looked much into the DC units, but had looked a little at the Fein Turbo II. Any recommendations there? I haven't really compared any other brands in terms of price, function or features.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, a quick update. I took a break to be with my buddy Rufus and had not been in the shop for quite a while. Anyways, the last week has been pretty eventful for me. I added some more wall space, painted and moved the Kapex back to where I originally had it before I started slapping up walls. Any ways, here is a couple of quick pics I took before painting....

• Like 3

I know it doesn't look like much but there is a lot going on down there right now which will culminate with my new bandsaw.It hasn't left the bulkhead stairs since I got it down there on Friday. There isn't room to sneeze down there so far but it's coming along nicely now. I can't wait to get down there tomorrow when I get off duty and start hammering way. I will be adding some cabinets after the bandsaw is built too...

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I'll post some more soon. I took last night off (after I wired in my last outlet) but am going to be down there all afternoon. I'm hoping to set up my plywood cutting table in a more convenient area in the shop plus I finished up the trim the night before last. Today the plan is to stop by HD and get some more casters for my DW745 cart that are bigger plus some more 1" trim for my cutting table.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after much anticipation....from me....I FINALLY got my new Rikon 10-325 14" bandsaw assembled. What a PITA!!!!!!! This thing is a beast! Can't wait to resaw!

I had to take it out of my truck, assemble and then put the band saw on the steel frame. By myself 285lbs. My back is killing me. Thank God for this little ratcheting driver I found in a Dodge Magnum I had purchased several years ago. Without it, I'd still be down there trying to assemble the table.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm going to try to post some pics today of the shop. It's been quite the ride but things have shaped up nicely. It started over a year ago when I began the move over to the current location. Interestingly enough, I may be moving it again, to an exterior building which would be sweet but we will have to wait and see......

These first few pictures are of my original shop....

That shop had existed in pieces for over six years. My main saw at the time was my Ridgid 10" non sliding miter saw backed up with a Ryobi 10" contractor saw. The shop had one decent light and like now, several ceiling mounted outlets. My previous relationship would not allow me to expand or get more embroiled into woodworking and my tools were limited but did me okay. When I met my Wife and she saw my hobby first hand she said "no....you need more space". So I began the move.....