New Shop Underway!

ChrisK

And a shop tour video.....

Thanks for following along guys. Im going to register a name for my shop with the State for my best friend Rufus who I lost in September. It was hard getting back down here without the little guy but lately it's been pretty therapeutic. When I retire in the next three years I want to start putting out some projects and try to get some side business and having a name will help. Not going to post it now till its official.

As far as my Wife supporting my habit...yeah I'm like a heroin addict with my woodshop...I'm one lucky guy. She's beautiful and she enjoys my projects coming upstairs and into our home as well as sharing them with friends and family. I really am blessed. Happy New Year guys.

• Like 2

Thanks for the great comments guys. This has been quite the change for this dark dank basement and it's been pretty fun to go down and work in there. I'm still of the mindset that moving to an outdoor building with heat and AC and a big door for lumber and sheet goods will be in my future but this shop is definitely cutting it for me and I am one blessed guy to have the shop in my home.

Thanks for the great comments guys. This has been quite the change for this dark dank basement and it's been pretty fun to go down and work in there. I'm still of the mindset that moving to an outdoor building with heat and AC and a big door for lumber and sheet goods will be in my future but this shop is definitely cutting it for me and I am one blessed guy to have the shop in my home.

I've always liked the convenience of a basement shop but Leary of the limiting factors of size of things you can build, good though to just walk downstairs and your in your workshop.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ya my basement shop has an advantage as it not only has stairs to get down but also a ground level private entrance, nice for finished things or full sheets of plywood stock ect ect......only limitation is nothing can be built more than 31.5" square and I have yet to even come close. tables stands benches ect ect all are built with removable parts 

This is fun. Absolutely awesome day in the shop. Started a bunch of project. I'm building a Hard Maple auxiliary fence for my Kapex and started two more heavy duty cutting boards, one oth Tiger Maple and Cherry, the other Tiger Maple and Black Walnut.

It's awesome having all the tools mounted on casters. The shop is already clear in the main area. The Powermatic 54HH jointer is FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!!!! Don't worry, the fence on my jointer is happy to be receiving the beautiful piece of maple :D

Great video Chris! I like how you have the bigger tools on mobile carts. Your shop has came a long way man. How big is the first section of the shop?

@NicholasShetley hey Nicholas, I am sorry, I just read your post!

The main area pictured is 11' wide by 19' long. That does not include the back portion where the planer and saw and router table plus the lumber break down area. It's not too large with ceilings well under seven feet but it's a huge area from what I originally had!

I picked up some great pieces a couple of weeks ago Comp. local Hardwood dealer about thirty minutes away. I wanted to make some 4/4 end grain boards but they're closed till Monday and I want to get some done so these will be a little smaller but the wood species are just gorgeous. I used Bubinga, Cherry and Tiger Maple on my Mother in Laws board I made her and it's just beautiful. I love having this shop. It's so nice being able to work again.

Thanks Nicholas, the short ceilings make maneuvering pieces around.....interesting. Yeah.....interesting. I told my Wife that I will move outdoors once we get a new horse for her. Her turn now! The plan then will be to either get a large shed / garage building or to build one depending on cost. That shop will have open ceilings, maybe some overhead storage but I want to have a couple of ceiling fans to help clear things up and keep things cool. Plus.....interesting isn't fun when trying to move an 8' sheet around!

I can imagine that it gets interesting. Our shop is a 30x40 and it has a 14 or 16 foot ceiling if I remember right. It also has a 10 foot overhang. It wasn't cheap but it was worth it. It was built about 5-6 years ago andirons has already needed a new roof due to a monster hailstorm a while back.