New Shop Underway!

ChrisK

Thanks Bryan, yup I'm thinking over the KAPEX or opposite it in line with the other one but I will probably for over the saw and planer area.

thought it would look nice right above my router table......

• 1 month later...

So with the upstairs remodel done I got to try to work in my shop again! I want to build my FIRST real work bench. I've got three months there but they are really just based butt joints and screws, really flimsy.

I decided to try my hand at lap joints. I've never done them but with two or three glue points I figured what the heck. I am using PT and Douglas Fir as I only needed to buy three sticks for the right amount of wood. I'm not going off any one plan, more of a bastardized heavy duty table. I'm going to look at adding dog holes, maybe cabinets when I'm done. If I add cabinets, I'll buckle and get the sys drawers. Overall length is 5', it's going to end up being about 34" when I add two slabs of CDX and two slabs of thin hard board. Not pretty but the lap joints and glue plus SPAX it's going to be strong. I decided to double up the legs and tomorrow I will get some locking casters....so maybe 36"?

Anyways, I got started late after going to the dump and HD so I'm just finishing up for the night. The lap joints were fun. I used my KAPEX as my DW745 can't use a dado set so let me tell you, my arm is aching but the KEX worked awesome. The dado lever and DC is awesome. Lots of work but well worth it. Going to have a porch rocker and watch some Grimm.

great job chris - thats a solid bench :P

i build something similar yesterday for my wife, a mobile potting bench. i might build a little bit super ultra solid but who cares lol

gonna post some pictures tmw in a new post.

and i used my new ROS65VC today to smooth down the sides etc. it works like charm - just love it, one-hand operation -> no problem.

now i just have to build 2 huge drawers out of plywood and add some cedar to the bench.

So with the upstairs remodel done I got to try to work in my shop again! I want to build my FIRST real work bench. I've got three months there but they are really just based butt joints and screws, really flimsy.

I decided to try my hand at lap joints. I've never done them but with two or three glue points I figured what the heck. I am using PT and Douglas Fir as I only needed to buy three sticks for the right amount of wood. I'm not going off any one plan, more of a bastardized heavy duty table. I'm going to look at adding dog holes, maybe cabinets when I'm done. If I add cabinets, I'll buckle and get the sys drawers. Overall length is 5', it's going to end up being about 34" when I add two slabs of CDX and two slabs of thin hard board. Not pretty but the lap joints and glue plus SPAX it's going to be strong. I decided to double up the legs and tomorrow I will get some locking casters....so maybe 36"?

Anyways, I got started late after going to the dump and HD so I'm just finishing up for the night. The lap joints were fun. I used my KAPEX as my DW745 can't use a dado set so let me tell you, my arm is aching but the KEX worked awesome. The dado lever and DC is awesome. Lots of work but well worth it. Going to have a porch rocker and watch some Grimm.

coming out very nice bro! Making me wanna build another bench ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much guys! Yeah that bench is super solid. In the Festool video I didn't hit the locking castors so I hit them. The bench doesn't move and inch. The entire top is hinged and its enclosed for storage. I finished my Kreg mount tonight and hung it so I'll post some more soon. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

So Samantha and I went out to buy a new car for her. I then got to work in the shop! So, added some stain to hide the upcoming paint and stain sure to accompany this table, added four 20mm dog holes and some Bessey auto toggle clamps. Also a small tool tray to the front of the beast!

• Like 1