Christmas present for my niece

hathatyl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What materials did u used and was it ur oen design? I was thinking of doing something like this for my 2 year old daughter.

Sorry for the late reply, i haven't been on here in forever! it entirely wood and wood glue.  I think it was called like drawer liner of something at home depot. For the design i tried to copy the movie as closely as i could. I basically gathered a bunch of screen shots of the castle in the film and tried to visualize it. Basically since its a snow flake type thing, everything is hexagonal or based of 6 somehow. 6 sides to the main part, 6 towers, 6 sides pyramid for the top, etc. I drew out most things on printer paper, and sometimes made exact paper models. Then traced those lines onto the wood and cut and sanded to fit.  If i had multiple pieces that were supposed to be identical I cut them all out on the outside of the line, then clamped them together and used a hand plane to get them all the same on each side. Then used high grit sand paper to smooth it out.  Clamping a hexagon together to let the glue dry is tough. ( i used a lot of masking tape to hold things until they dried)