My current winter project

cjanderson_90

Hey guys and gals,

A little background on me. I went to school for motorcycle and small engine repair. Got my degree in that and then went back to school for marine engine repair. Apparently they are two different programs. Worked in the industry for about 3 years, got sick of the low pay and switched to a technology job. Now I run all of the applications and software for a bank.

1979 Suzuki GS750

So this is my winter project that i thought I would share with you. I picked up this beauty in November for a whopping $700. Guy told me he "went through everything and its in top running condition". Well I go the bike home and the carbs started leaking instantly. So i pulled the tank and cabrs. Did a full rebuild with new o-rings, cleaned the jets, set the float height ect. Then it came time to check the valve clearances as thats probably the most looked over part of maintenance for any bike. Well every valve was too tight to get even my smallest 0.02 feeler gauge into. So I had to get a smaller shim and run it through ever valve to get a baseline of what I needed. Finally got all the shims needed and put them all in. Ended up twisting a bolt off on the cam holder. Nothing a left handed drill bit and an EZ-out cant fix. New gaskets and shes back together. Adjusted the clutch actuater and and cable so now its how its suppose to feel. Im not quite done with her as i need to get new wheel bearings, tires, brake lines ect. Ill try to keep this updated. In the mean time, here are some pictures:

Just got her back home
20141121_215405_zpsr9wrbsgw.jpg

Tank and Carbs off. Very dirty

20141121_215346_zpszyjqgtbf.jpg

valve cover off

20141213_192812_zpsvttw9tau.jpg

This was almost a bad night

20141218_190702_zpsznch2hmk.jpg

The zip ties help keep the valves open when pulling the shims out

20141222_175332_zpsuixb842m.jpg

Might as well pull the cams out so its easier to put the new shims in

20141222_175326_zpsqruahkc9.jpg

This is a good tool to speed up installing bolts that cant be torqued too high as would happen with my impact

20141223_171934_zps6oc6miyq.jpg

These are as good as everyone says

10159_zpsya9aoigf.jpg

All buttoned up. For now

20141223_190056_zpshwlgrw5u.jpg

Currently waiting for some brake parts for the handlebar switch as i seem to have misplaced mine. I'll be getting new charging system parts too, a new regulator rectifier and probably a new stator depending on what the current one looks like. New SS braided brake lines are in order as well. Just thought id give an update.

Did a little more work on it this weekend. Got the gear indicator to work so now it tells me what gear I'm in! Thats a pretty damn cool feature for a bike from the 70s. I guess they clear coated all of the connections so i couldnt melt the solder at all. Finally scraped it off and got to re-solder it. My petcock started leaking pretty bad after i put a hose clamp on it so I think its time for a new one.

Also went to the tool depot and picked these up

20150117_095313_zps8ypvkw6g.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey guys just an update:

Got a few more things fixed on her. Petcock is still leaking after i took it apart so i ordered a new one. Took her for a ride last night while it was a balmy 22 degrees. Also picked up another bike to work on. We she just needs a little cosmetic work. Got it for....$500. Not even kidding. Killer deal from a friend. Runs just fine after i did a little maintenance on her. Here she is:

20150214_121719_zpslb1amvpn.jpg

Hey guys just an update:

Got a few more things fixed on her. Petcock is still leaking after i took it apart so i ordered a new one. Took her for a ride last night while it was a balmy 22 degrees. Also picked up another bike to work on. We she just needs a little cosmetic work. Got it for....$500. Not even kidding. Killer deal from a friend. Runs just fine after i did a little maintenance on her. Here she is:

20150214_121719_zpslb1amvpn.jpg

Dang that looks sick.