Tile Project

DamianD

A little while ago I started a thread inquiring about tile layouts.  Well, I made a decision and damn am I happy with the way its turned out so far.  Here are some during and after pics.  Still not completely finished. I still need to grout and also tile into the powder and laundry rooms, but the bulk of the work is finished.  Overall, I am beyond happy with how it turned out.  Completely changed the look of the rooms. Now once the other rooms are finished and grouted, just need to do the trim and paint and im all set!! 

get-attachmentaspx_zpse54e3366.jpeg

get-attachment-1aspx_zpsfb7764b0.jpeg

get-attachment-3aspx_zps0c06fc17.jpeg

get-attachment-2aspx_zpscff1b9ee.jpeg

get-attachment-4aspx_zps55ce9c98.jpeg

Nice work!  

wheres the project foreman pooch?  also that footwear doesn't look osha spproved! ;)

i like how you laid it out into the hall, if i remember correctly from the old pictures there was a full tile along the wall and a small sliver along the carpet, they way you did it looks much more professional!

im not sure if you already have the grout, but if not try to track down Mapei Ultracolor Plus.. excellent product all around

Thanks for the compliments guys!! Prep took a lot of time, about 12-14 hours of removing the old floors (there were 3) and using a diamabrush on my grinder and then finishing up with a 4 inch scraper.  Got the middle tiles done in about 6 hours and all the cuts done and layed in another 8 hours the next day. 

Nice work!  

wheres the project foreman pooch?  also that footwear doesn't look osha spproved! ;)

i like how you laid it out into the hall, if i remember correctly from the old pictures there was a full tile along the wall and a small sliver along the carpet, they way you did it looks much more professional!

im not sure if you already have the grout, but if not try to track down Mapei Ultracolor Plus.. excellent product all around

Haha the pooch wasnt allowed on the first floor that weekend. I had her supervising from the top of the staircase.   Yes with the way I layed out the tiles before to get an idea, there was a full tile against the wall and a small cut along the carpet.  I really like how I ended up doing it, it has a much better fit and finish.  As for grout i have not purchased anything yet.  Hoping to get to that on my next days off. Ill have to check out this Mapei Ultracolor you speak of.  Ive never done grout work. I hear it isnt hard, just time consuming.  As always, Ill just take my time and get the feel for it.

I don't remeber if u said this was UR first time or not but damn good job if it is, I'm planing on doing my restrooms soon and Mayby redoing my kitchen but not sure bout that one yet. I learned a few pointer from a guy who worked on my grandparents house last year so hopefully mine will come out as nice as yours did man.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the kind words.  I havent had a chance to do any more work. On top of work and snow plowing season, I also just got back home from a cruise in the bahamas.  First one ever and I cant seem to get my land legs back haha.  Hopefully this weekend I will have something updated to take more pictures of.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

finally found some time to work a little more on the project.  All tile is layed thank god.  Now all i have left is grouting, installing new trim work, and putting the powder room vanity and toilet back in.  It sucks working so much and having such little time to do your own projects.  It seems like this project is forever going.

finally found some time to work a little more on the project.  All tile is layed thank god.  Now all i have left is grouting, installing new trim work, and putting the powder room vanity and toilet back in.  It sucks working so much and having such little time to do your own projects.  It seems like this project is forever going.

yup and it most likely will never change....

• Like 1

Ok brothers, i need advice. I want to get this grouting done asap. Question is, since it is such a big area im working with, alone, would it be ok to grout in a section one day, then another section the next day? Or will i run into issues grouting into an already cured grout line? My main concern is getting the powder room and laundry room done first. Then worry about the kitchen and hallway later.

Ok brothers, i need advice. I want to get this grouting done asap. Question is, since it is such a big area im working with, alone, would it be ok to grout in a section one day, then another section the next day? Or will i run into issues grouting into an already cured grout line? My main concern is getting the powder room and laundry room done first. Then worry about the kitchen and hallway later.

When I grout large areas alone I do it in sections. I try to start and stop in areas under doorways or at transitions of rooms. When you do stop try to stop the grout abruptly and not fade or feather it out. Grout needs the edges of the tile to stick to. The more edge you leave the less likely you are to having grout not stick.

And I try to complete the whole area as soon as possible. If you do half of the grout in let's say a sunny foyer, and do the other half a month later you may have color match issues. Hope this makes sense.

thanks for the advice, much appreciated.. Im going to just do the powder room today since that has a doorway I can stop under and I can finally get everything all put back together and usable.  Then ill see if I can grab a buddy to help knock out the rest of the floor next weekend.  

Finally had time to finish the powder room and grout the rest of the floor!! Damn that took forever but totally worth it.  All I have left to do now is nail the new trim pieces in place and tuck the carpet and im all set to go!

photo1_zps09yvbitg.jpg

photo2_zpstqcv9caa.jpg

photo3_zpstk5e99tn.jpg

photo4_zpslmfz2nub.jpg

• Like 1