Happy wife

regopit

The wife has been on my ass to redo the second floor of our house. So I finished our bedroom awhile ago and that keep her quiet for a while. I finished the guess room before Christmas but she wanted a barn door so for $50 in hardware and some scrap lumber I built her a sliding barn door. I guess she will be on me to do the Bath and my office before long.

DSC01366_zpsf4a12152.jpg

• Like 2

sweet, is that a kit or something you created for hardware?.....

It is some 1/8" Flat stock 2 V belt idler pulleys some bolts, nuts and washers and some lags. The cheapest kit I could find was like 250 bucks so I made it I will have to take some better photos.

My Honey Do list is endless. This house was built in 1920 so every job is an adventure. My wife has lived in this house for 25 years so It is paid for and I have to live with and fix the sins of the past.

Here are some more pics. I have to still put my stops on and floor guide. 

bd2_zpsd1a28ab9.jpgbd1_zpsfa4f8d9e.jpg

bd3_zpscd65638a.jpg

very cool!!  

what did  you use for the door panels? its hard to tell in the pictures.   i thought it was v joint from the first picture but then it didnt look like that in the last 2..   are the stiles and rails 3 layer laminated with the stile to rail connection weaving together or did you use some other method?

on the hardware, did you bolt the pulley to the bar that connects it to the door or was that attached to the pulley?  did you have to weld the "axle" bolt in place or just bolt it to the steel bar to hold it secure, then put on  the pulley and then another bolt to hold it all together?  

what do you use for a door handle on the other side?  recessed finger hole?

any sort of stop on the top track or floor?

sorry for 21 questions i just really like what you did and can see myself doing something similar one day :)

very cool!!  

what did  you use for the door panels? its hard to tell in the pictures.   i thought it was v joint from the first picture but then it didnt look like that in the last 2..   are the stiles and rails 3 layer laminated with the stile to rail connection weaving together or did you use some other method?

on the hardware, did you bolt the pulley to the bar that connects it to the door or was that attached to the pulley?  did you have to weld the "axle" bolt in place or just bolt it to the steel bar to hold it secure, then put on  the pulley and then another bolt to hold it all together?  

what do you use for a door handle on the other side?  recessed finger hole?

any sort of stop on the top track or floor?

sorry for 21 questions i just really like what you did and can see myself doing something similar one day :)

Ok here we go. This house had knotty pine ceilings through the whole house but most of them had 50 layers of paint. The wife like that and thats why she had bought this house. So any time I do a reno I just replace it.

So the door field is just good old knotty pine from HD glued up. The rails and stiles  are just common 1x pine with pocket screws and nailed to the knotty pine.

The pulleys are idler pulleys and have a center bearing so you can just bolt them on to the flat bar. For the door pull I just used a 2" forstner bit and took a 1/4" round over bit in the trim router. For the rail I just used 1/2 copper pipe for spacers and sleeves for to cover the mounting lags. I hope this helps   

Ok here we go. This house had knotty pine ceilings through the whole house but most of them had 50 layers of paint. The wife like that and thats why she had bought this house. So any time I do a reno I just replace it.

So the door field is just good old knotty pine from HD glued up. The rails and stiles  are just common 1x pine with pocket screws and nailed to the knotty pine.

The pulleys are idler pulleys and have a center bearing so you can just bolt them on to the flat bar. For the door pull I just used a 2" forstner bit and took a 1/4" round over bit in the trim router. For the rail I just used 1/2 copper pipe for spacers and sleeves for to cover the mounting lags. I hope this helps   

thanks for the info!  again, great job... 

Thanks everybody. She liked it so much she wants 3 more. Will this madness ever end  ::)

There are tons of ideas and good info out there on the good old interwebs. The one thing you have to pay attention to is to drill your rail a little below center so your rollers don't hit them. If anybody would like a parts list I will post it here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...