I can't decided.....

Matty Alou

Are you looking to buy right now or just trying to make a decision? It's not really the best time you buy any tools at the moment. You missed out on the $99 M12 drill and impact kit with a free 3.0ah battery over the holidays. They are both great platforms it all depends if you want more power or want something really light and compact when it comes down to it. You also mentioned price is an issue M12 kits tend to be cheaper for the most part.

depends on what you need them to do, if you are a home owner looking for a set then the m12 will do if you are a serious Diy'er either 1 will do and if you are like me .....just kidding try and get both in the fuel version as they will come in handy 

this is a good buy for m12 kit if you can find it...

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/m12-cordless-lithium-ion-4-tool-combo-kit/856073

44-4.png

Welcome to TIA

what will your use be?   big holes, long lags and screws, hours of use?    for most use and even lighter commercial applications the m12 will do you just fine.  i would recommend you pony up and go for the fuel models minimally in m12 though also the fuel m12 drill will get you the 1/2' chuck like m18... the difference between fuel and non fuel is crazy. absolutely worth any difference in price.       heavy and hard use you may want to go m18

I am surprised that no one has hit upon the obvious answer - both!  Get the M12 set for sticking in your tool bag to carry around for day to day projects and get the M18 models for heavy duty work!

But seriously, the M12's are powerful enough to do just about anything short of building a new room on your house, though I suspect they could probably be pressed into service do that as well.  I second the opinion that you should go Fuel.  You can find the brushed versions cheaper, but the power and runtime of the Fuel models are definitely worth the extra $$$.

I am surprised that no one has hit upon the obvious answer - both!  Get the M12 set for sticking in your tool bag to carry around for day to day projects and get the M18 models for heavy duty work!

I did.....in the 3rd post

Hello, I have a Makita 18V set and also recently got a M12 Impact driver. The M12 is for electrical work and the 18V is for the H/D stuff. its a clear choice - you need both. If I did my 18V choice again it would be Milwaukee hands down. The M12 Impact driver struggles on larger spade bits through timber I have found. Other than that its an absolutely awesome tool. Small, light and the batter lasts for ages. My suggestion is this - Get the 18V and if you feel you need the M12 for something a little lighter and easy to handle on smaller jobs then get that later. If you get the 18V now you will only have to buy the M12 skin as the 18V charger has a 12V charging spot but the 12V charger only does the 12V. You will save money in the long run. I hope this helps.

Welcome aboard Matty and STX. I think in Matty's case you really need to decide what you want to do with the tools. For homeownership or woodworking the M12 line is really all you'll need. If Contractor, heavy duty DIY etc type of work is what your looking to do, go M18. Each line (and now M12 too!) has circular saws, multi tools, brushless, high capacity batteries, lights, testing equipment (well M12 really). Buy what you can afford but look to the future in your purchase. If it costs a little more to go one way or the other, and you said cost will be an issue. Look to future needs before you purchase. I have several M12 tools and love them. They are powerful, well crafted machines that get the job done. I have a Dewalt 20v hammer drill and circular saw that get the big stuff done too. Now (thanks Eric and Dan) I've got a bunch of other options open now too! Milwaukee is a great line. So is Bosch, Makita and Dewalt. But if your into expansion Milwaukee owns the dung heap when it comes to 12v powerhouses right now and have done so for some time. Good luck!