Compact Router for Casual Use

analog_gamer

Always wanted a router for around the house use and it seems that a compact router is the way to go (routing out hinges, casual woodwork, etc.)

Looking at the Dewalt DWP611

Question: How does it compare to the Bosch Colt? (Bosch fan here, but it seems the Dewalt beats them with this model.)

Question: How useful is a plunge base for a compact router such as this? What practicle applications would it be needed?

Thanks.

i never owned the Bosch Colt - i went straight up with the model and bought the 1617EVSKP because i needed the plunge version and a bit more HP.

Since you are a Bosch Nut like you said, give it a try for the Colt.

cant really say anything to the dewalt router - just that is has 1/4 more hp :D

Truthfully Chad, six to one half dozen to another. I think that the Bosch Colt variable and the Dewalt are universally liked as is the Makita compact too. I really like the way the Dewalt feels in hand but I haven't used it but man that plunge base for it really is sweet. I am currently in the market for a small compact and all three of these...and yes the Festool OF1010 are in the running. I have a gift card from my Mother in Law for a 100 at Woodcraft so I might get the Festool because it is less than a hundred bucks more with that card than all three models with the bases and I'm already in the line with dust control and the edge guide feature for the 1010 is crazy but I still might go another route. That's why I haven't bought it yet.

There is also a plunge base for the Colt as well.

How smooth and accurate is adjusting the measurements on the colt?

Would I miss not having LEDs or a clear base?

I think they are both very accurate..

I got a lot feedback from costumes that they love the LED went they are working with dark wood or MDF/HDF.. So I will say you will miss it..

But you can try the DEWALT in EU it is 30 days don't know about the US, and if you don't liked it you can return it..

I don't have experience with either but here is my thoughts anyway..

my feeling is that most people use the colt so your gonna get the most feedback about that.

I did a little digging and it seems that the Dewalt has the best actual feedback and features.

I've read that the Colts depth adjustment is crude and difficult to dial in perfectly.

That's my motto. I would agree with KWC on the light too. Having an LED in a dimly lit area is very helpful. Not required just nice to have. More important is DC as it keeps the path clear for you to see. Oh and one more thing. Cordless is great to have one or two or whatever lines of as the batteries in most lines are now compatible. AC powered tools it's not that important. Each is its own stand alone tool so having a Dewalt here, a B&D there, a Milwaukee over there and a Makita in hand isn't a problem. It's when you have a Dewalt drill and a Makita impact that things get a little confusing.

Well I checked both out tonight and came back with liking the Bosch more. Seems like I can actually dial it in better (with the measurements on the barrel.Typical Bosch quality with simple and clean lines. Also, plastic carrying case.

Man these things are small. Can I still do glue joints and tongue and groove? How thick a piece of wood can I go

You can get tongue and grove bits with 1/4 shank but you will likely have to make the cut in several passes somehow.

These smaller routers are great for flush trimming nosing, small roundovers, shallow cuts like to mortise a hinge or light details like a small v grove in a panel.. when you start wanting to remove more material you can do it but you have to make several passes, increasing your cut depth each time.