Ryobi Jigsaw - Bosch T-shank will not fit

tekt

Home Depot has no obligation to make one brand compatible with another. Being a "house brand" doesn't mean shit, Home Depot sells it, they don't make it. Seems to be a common-sense thing, Bosch makes accessories to fit Bosch tools, Ryobi makes accessories to fit Ryobi tools. If one fits the other then it's a win, if not, you come up with a solution

It's not crazy at all. Performing a simple basic 30-second fix to resolve an issue...isn't that what guys do?? I mean come on, you're on a tool forum...

I don't know, maybe it's just me, I don't have any problems coming up with solutions to basic issues. I'd rather fix it if it's a minor thing to do, I wouldn't even consider this an issue at all given the fact that it's such a simple solution. Either you fix it or you buy the blades that are branded to the jigsaw. Your gripe is with either Ryobi or Bosch, if they make claims that they're compatible then it's their fault. If I were at all upset that blades didn't fit, I'd buy the blades that Ryobi makes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kato said:

Home Depot has no obligation to make one brand compatible with another. Being a "house brand" doesn't mean shit, Home Depot sells it, they don't make it. Seems to be a common-sense thing, Bosch makes accessories to fit Bosch tools, Ryobi makes accessories to fit Ryobi tools. If one fits the other then it's a win, if not, you come up with a solution

It's not crazy at all. Performing a simple basic 30-second fix to resolve an issue...isn't that what guys do?? I mean come on, you're on a tool forum...

I don't know, maybe it's just me, I don't have any problems coming up with solutions to basic issues. I'd rather fix it if it's a minor thing to do, I wouldn't even consider this an issue at all given the fact that it's such a simple solution. Either you fix it or you buy the blades that are branded to the jigsaw. Your gripe is with either Ryobi or Bosch, if they make claims that they're compatible then it's their fault. If I were at all upset that blades didn't fit, I'd buy the blades that Ryobi makes.

BTW, I don't think this was intentional. By the looks of Ryobi's blades, I think they were going for being able to accept U-type and T-type blades but they made assumptions about Bosch's blade. Just my opinion BUT...

I think we need to be vocal in this situation, this can set a poor example and lead to very frustrating "innovation." We've had to accept it if you're an Apple phone user, the only phone that needs a specific licensed proprietary plug. Imagine if Ryobi doesn't get any negative feedback from this and that this helps Ryobi blade sales. We already sort of see it in oscillating multi-tools, luckily some manufacturers have come up with and include adapters. From a brand's viewpoint, it benefits TREMENDOUSLY if they can sell proprietary disposables for their tools but no one will buy a reciprocating saw that can only use one type of blade...unless we start telling them it's okay and everyone starts doing it. It's not working in this case, and that's a good thing. We'd know i it was working because Ryobi jigsaw blades would be carried in HD by now.

• Like 2

Don't forget you get that nifty case too.

Anybody try a different brand of t-shank yet? I've used Bosch so far, but I'm curious about DeWalt and others, if they'd fit better or worse.

On 7/3/2016 at 9:14 AM, jswoger1986 said:

That crazy there's no way I'm modifying the available blades to fit the unit. That jig saw would be going straight back to depot. As the Home Depot brand Ryobi should 1000% be compatible with the blades Home Depot sells. That is a huge let down from ryobi's design and research teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, and normally, I'd be returning it and switching brands, but I'm happy with all my other ryobi one system stuff, so I have several batteries.

Plus so far I do like the jig saw itself, so as long as I can trust the Bosch (or other available t shank) blades, I'll settle for merely sending ryobi an angry letter.  But I'd really like to know the Bosch blades are safe when locked only as far as that 45 degree position.

By the way, any one have an opinion of Rigid blades?  They appear to have the same ryobi universal design.

On 7/3/2016 at 9:27 AM, Kato said:

I believe HD owns Ryobi.  Either way, you're certainly right that it's ryobi's fault if they claim t shank compatibility but don't deliver it, or Bosh's fault if they claim their blades are industry standard t shank, but they really aren't.  But it's also HD responsibility to deliver a good customer experience in the stuff they choose to sell, and this isn't one.

People shouldn't have to make another hobby out of modifying blades to get basic functionality.

11 minutes ago, ApK said:

I believe HD owns Ryobi.

You are mistaken. Ryobi is owned by TTI...Techtronic Industries. Home Depot is a store, a distributor, not a manufacturer.

19 minutes ago, Kato said:

You are mistaken. Ryobi is owned by TTI...Techtronic Industries. Home Depot is a store, a distributor, not a manufacturer.

Meh.  It was probably an HD employee I'd heard it from so I'm not surprised that it's wrong.  Still, sounded plausible.  Sometimes companies buy other companies to control more of the supply chain.

Anyway, point was just HD should sell compatible blades.

8 minutes ago, ApK said:

Meh.  It was probably an HD employee I'd heard it from so I'm not surprised that it's wrong.

Anyway, point was just HD should sell compatible blades.

Sure, because we all know that the employees at Home Depot are geniuses, brain surgeons and think-tank representatives. 0008.gif

Home Depot does sell compatible blades. They sell Bosch blades for Bosch jigsaws, Dewalt blades for Dewalt jigsaws, etc.. Return the blades you bought, try a different brand. The Bosch blades I use, some fit halfway, some fit further in, some don't fit further in. The ones that fit halfway and beyond I use with no issue. The ones that don't go halfway, I trim them down so they fit.

Anybody who claims that one brand fits another either does so because it's true or because they're morons. Either way, I take the necessary steps to make sure that the accessories I use are compatible with the tools they're meant for. If that means making a simple adjustment, I do it. If it means trying a different style or type of accessory, then that's what I do.

Takes me about 2 seconds to drop the angle grinder down, another 2 seconds to slap a battery in, and about 5 seconds to trim the tip of the blade down. Given the alternative, wasting a lot more time going to the store to return the blades and get different ones...I'd prefer to make a simple adjustment and carry on. I understand the frustration but it's just a jigsaw blade, a thin piece of metal that can easily be modified. You don't want to do that, cool, no problem, I understand. Me, I just take the path of least resistance, it's easier, it's faster, and it doesn't cost me any money or stress.

For the record, I've been test cutting with the Bosch blades (lock only going to the 45 degree position) and have not had any problems, so I'll probably just continue to use them unmodified, unless a better options presents itself.

BTW, grinding the insert end of the shank to match the Ryobi blade does not improve the fit at all.  I suspect the difference is in the width of the T tabs, but I'm not interested in more experimentation right now.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok so slightly filing the T on the Bosch or sears blade (both sides) will allow the blade holder to fully clamp into position.  The Ryobi site told me in my inquiry about this issue that a partial clamp on the Bosch or Sears blade is adequate, However since I cannot visualize how this actually clamps the blade in place instead of fully closing as on the supplied Ryobi blade I question that in hard use that the blade holder may become compromised as it is constructed out of some type of plastic.  You would think that Ryobi would slightly redesign the blade holder to accept the more prevalent blades that are on the market.  I ran into a similar type issue when I purchased a new ryobi drill that has an led work light, which is a great idea, however it does not come on until the drill is actually moving which renders it virtually useless.  Now I will say that the cordless sabre saw in question (p523) is a really nice unit with tons of power and speed and other features. Just wish the blades fit.  I also have not been able to find Ryobi blades for sale at anything other than ridiculous prices.

The Bosch T Shank fit perfectly fine in the Ryobi jig saws, there is just a little trick to get the twist collar lock to lock.

When you turn the collar to its open position and insert the Bosch t shank blade I and release the collar it looks like it will not engage, but at this time push the blade in and you will feel almost a springy feel and then the collar releases and locks the blade into place.

It works, just need to know this trick.

Hope this helps.

kwalkerpro

• 1 year later...

There is supposed to be only one size T shank. I am pretty sure Ryobi did not set out to make a unique blade that just fit their saw. That makes no sense. Somebody screwed up in engineering or manufacturing. You can maybe fix the tool, definitely modify other brand blades or take it back. Ryobi screwed up. I doubt contacting them would do any good but he could try. I would return the tool and get something else. It may not be HFs fault but they are most likely the one to provide a solution. They are selling a T shank tool that does not accept any T shank they or hardly anyone else can supply. I do not buy the argument that it is only required to work with Ryobi blades. A T shank is a T shank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I've been messing with this stupid Ryobi jigsaw for over a year trying to get blades to fit. I've had the Bosch blade fly out in the middle of a job. I now wear leather gloves. It can't be trusted unless the lock mechanism turns the whole way. Also the 25$ kit of Ryobi blades on Amazon does not fit the saw. Ryobi really does need to be sued. I'm not rich enough to buy another saw when all my batteries are already Ryobi as all my cordless tools are Ryobi.

• 1 year later...

In my efforts to cut out an insert for a sink into a high gloss IKEA worktop, I came across this discussion.  My old corded B&D jig-saw doesn't take t shank blades, and most of the DIY shops near me carry Bosch blades. I'm not a professional, so I was just looking for an entry level jigsaw.  I have a couple of newer Ryobi 18v tools and a Bosch 18v drill. Due to age differences the Ryobi has bigger batteries (I think you need at least 3aH and easier if you have two of them!  Reading this forum I was a bit hesitant but went for the Ryobi R18JS-0.  I found a pack of blades that included a some reverse teeth (RAK05JSBFC), and I also bought a pack of 3 Bosch (T101BR HCS) blades - again the reverse teeth again good for cutting laminate from the top.

I know the original discussion is old now, but I can say both blade types fit with no problem, and I appreciate the ease of changing blades provided by the newer mechanism.  Used masking tape on the worktop, and did a practise drill (10mm wood bit, but you could start with small 3 mm if you're worried about skipping) and cut in the waste portion, no problem.  Drilled 10 mm holes in the corners (white high gloss ceramic is tough, but OK once you get a few mm in). I did half with a Ryobi blade, which was OK but felt difficult and you could not go quick of course (40 mm worktop).  Swapped to the Bosch blade and that was noticeably easier on the cutting, although you could feel a little more kick.  I took advice from other posters and did not bother with guides or clamps for the sink insert, just concentrated on the cut and the line in the tape.  No problem with chipping and the job looks good.

• 3 months later...