dewalt countersink bits breaking

Duns221

so heres the story, as a hobby i build wood duck boxes, i use the dewalt #6 countersink bit on all of them.  in the past 2 weeks i have broken 2 bits by just drilling, not dropping them just drilling holes, at 20 dollars for the set at home depot it becomes an expensive problem, has anyone else had this problem?

I would have tossed that one up to a manager at that HD if you had a receipt or other form of proof of purchase they should have took care of you. The next thing would be is to contact Dewalt I'm sure they will take care of you too with that problem. It could be that that batch had a bad heat treat or something. Its kinda odd you would have that many break on you.

I would have tossed that one up to a manager at that HD if you had a receipt or other form of proof of purchase they should have took care of you. The next thing would be is to contact Dewalt I'm sure they will take care of you too with that problem. It could be that that batch had a bad heat treat or something. Its kinda odd you would have that many break on you.

could it have been the torque on my drill? i was using an m18 hammer drill on mode 1 on the drilling mode, could the drill just be too powerful for the bit?

• 4 months later...

I've had this happen to me. In my case, I think it was user error. I wasn't drilling straight, ended up putting too much lateral force on the bit and breaking it. If you have a drill press, try chucking the bit up and making a bunch of holes to see if the bit breaks. If it does, then I'd say it's a shitty bit.

• Like 1