drill driver or impact driver for around the house

James Duncan

to keep it in perspective, brushed models with 1.5ah or 2ah will be plenty enough for round the home work. i don't think we should be constantly talking about/recommending brushless tools and high capacity batteries for someone who won't be using them all day...

cheers, Dwain

True. OP did mention an interest in brushless though. Plus with the new M18 it seems like it's not just on premium tools anymore and is starting to trickle down.

Going with M12 I have no experience with brushed models but have read enough about them being gutless that my attitude is "more is always better". More power in the same package is worth the extra money on every job you use it on long after the point of sale.

Milwaukee is also quite generous with promotions. My fuel circ saw, fuel sawzall, m12 stick light, extra batteries, etc. have all been free toss-ins. There are of course great deals to be had on the standard stuff as well, but M12 Fuel on promo isn't out of reach of a homeowner.

• 2 weeks later...

Why no belt clip on the drill? I bought a hammer drill impact combo kit from milwaukee and only the impact has a belt clip. I find myself using both at the same time the majority and have to set my drill on the ladder or top of a ceiling. Just a gripe

That's a good gripe to be honest. I'm not sure why they do that also. You can but them directly or go to http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ for one but its a pain when you pay a couple of bones and get one clip.

I just recently replaced my 10+ year old cordless drill with a combo kit. 

The first couple of projects that I did, I had a drill bit chucked up in the drill and the driver ready to drive the lag bolts, I can't believe I lived without them until now. Having both tools ready saved a ton of wasted time changing out the bits.

Tool feel in the hand is so subjective, it's like handguns, one may fit me perfectly and I can hit a nat at 20 feet, then I pick up another brand gun with the same caliber and trigger and can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Go to the store and get the tools into your hand and see how the feel to you.

Good luck and have fund with your research.

The m12 fuel screw driver is the best of both worlds Quick bit change plus the speed and torque of a drill. I have multiples of each between my 20v line and m12 but I agree with what others say and that I grab for the m12 more than I do the 20v's

That's a good gripe to be honest. I'm not sure why they do that also. You can but them directly or go to http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ for one but its a pain when you pay a couple of bones and get one clip.

Thanks for the link Chris, I need to find a chuck for a milwaukee v18 hammer drill. This looks like the place.

Edit: This is the place! $40 bucks is not to bad either for the chuck. Great site.

Nordraw (and others) makes a good point, if you can afford it you should just get a combo kit so that way you won't be disappointed. If you're looking at the 12v stuff it runs for under $150 or so for the brushed combo. If you want 18v you can get the kit for $200ish with the small batteries. Buying both would solve your dilemma and not leave you emptied handed..... so to speak.

FB82

• Like 1