ford1386

My chuck in my dcd970 messed up today when I try to back a screw out with it the chuck loosens up and the bit falls out with the drill in reverse. So I am figuring the chuck is bad (rohm supra sk), and now they make a conversion kit, so dewalt must have had problems I'm assuming. My question is how do I remove the rohm supra sk chuck? I loosened the chuck all the way and put a pair of channelock pliers and turned the chuck counterclockwise and it feels like I'm gonna snap the drill in half if I put any more pressure on it. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks Andy

What type number is it? That will be next to the model number on the drill...

The type 1 is the one using the conversion kit because to replace the chuck, you literally have to replace the entire transmission. The kit turns the type 1 into a type 2...

On the type 2 and 3, as framer said above, there is a screw inside that is a torx 20 LH thread.... Pull that screw, then the chuck should unscew in the right direction...