New m18 compact series out March 1st

James Duncan

Milwaukee has a new compact series which looks like direct competition for  dewalts compact XR 20v series

theres is a dril/driver  an impact a sawzall and a hammer drill.. looks to be priced exactly the same as the XR dewalt series as well at $269 for a combo kit.. any takers?  i will be giving this a good hard look since i was looking at the XR series

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/combo-kits/2798-22ct

2798-22CT_kit.png

I'd love the combo kit, but I don't really like the bags they come with. I guess I'm one of the few that actually likes the blow-molded cases. 

I would imagine I'll get the impact driver. I can't see needing another drill, with an M12 Fuel, a brushed M18, and an 18v Makita already. But stranger things have happened...

From what I can tell the difference between the brushless and Fuel is apparently the Fuel has more rugged construction. The Fuel impact has multiple torque settings. The drill driver for Fuel has the collar switch between drill and drive versus drill being on the same selector as the clutch setting. The hammer drill I'm not sure.

I do like the size of the 2701. It's shorter than the 2403. Has me waiting on m12 vs compact m18 for a second drill.

i didnt pre order but im very close to ... its weird  dewalt has better impact bits (flextorq) and milwaukee might have better drills  might have to mix them up ..i am debating waiting for reviews and head to head tests against the dewalt xr compact 20v series or just taking the leap and pre ordering these..

The compact brushless drill makes sense to me because of the smaller size and lighter weight compared to the M18 FUEL line of drills.  But the impact to me isn't going to sell as well by itself.  The impact kit with two batteries is going to cost around $199.  For $30 dollars more, you can pick up the FUEL brushless impact with the 3 speed settings and have a bit more versatility.  I believe the only reason they came out with that impact is to combo it with those compact drills.

Well the way I look at it is this, the M18 Fuel hammer is too big for the use it's going to get out of me in most cases. The old M18 compact drill is the most comfortable drills I've ever used but mine was a piece of crap. The speed selector got stuck repeatedly and the chuck would jam. I got rid of it and that's when I went to Makita. Then the Fuel line came out and I had to have it so switched back. The hammer is super powerful but it's also super big (with full size batteries). If I had to guess, I bought my M18 compact when it first came out and they have fixed all the problems with those drills. Check the reviews, they are solid machines. Additionally Milwaukee is really up front with brushless technology. They are going to put that into a Premium brushless hammer drill and impact with 4.0 batteries for $299. Those batteries will work with every tool in the m18 line. That's a really good deal. Am I going to dump my DCD985? Not anytime soon. It just bored out a crap load of holes and screwed in a crap load of tap cons for me without any problem. But for $299 you get a brushless hammer drill, a brushless impact driver, 2 4.0 batteries, charger and bag. I paid the same price for my non brushless but American made kit (I got a free 20v circular saw though!!). That is a good deal from a great manufacturer with a phenomenal warranty.

Seems like this might be the way to go if you're not looking for overkill with your drill/impact. I own the 18 fuel and they are nice, but that drill is a complete hog and it kind of heavy in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it works great on the site, but this new kit seems like something that would be good for smaller applications or even at home use.