New m18 compact series out March 1st

James Duncan

I agree with FrosBros, the 2653 is the ultimate impact driver in my opinion, but the 2604 is a big pig that I hate to drag out when I don't need that much power. 5lb isn't that heavy but compared to a 2.9-3.5lb smaller drill, you definitely notice the difference, hence my fence-sitting on this vs the M12 Fuel for around-the-house tasks. I only own 4.0 m18s so if this goes on sale for a decent price with 2.0 I may jump, otherwise I'll put my m12 4.0s to work.

• Like 1

I own the 12v fuel and I like it better than my 18v to be honest. Don't get me wrong, the 18v has it's place, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. However, for around the house and woodworking I think the 12v is the way to go. So much lighter and there isn't really anything that it can't do in terms of house remodels and so forth.

I own the 12v fuel and I like it better than my 18v to be honest. Don't get me wrong, the 18v has it's place, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. However, for around the house and woodworking I think the 12v is the way to go. So much lighter and there isn't really anything that it can't do in terms of house remodels and so forth.

Yea honestly I really want to buy the M12 tool kit because dragging out my full size dewalt stuff from the garage is a hassle when doing small around the house stuff and sometimes they have too much power for the small stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone buy this kit or see it out in the wild yet?  i still havent bought a combo set yet (lots of stuff going on etc)  i tried out the dewalt xr series but im waiting to try out or at least read a review or watch a comparison vid ..

Milwaukee has a new compact series which looks like direct competition for  dewalts compact XR 20v series

theres is a dril/driver  an impact a sawzall and a hammer drill.. looks to be priced exactly the same as the XR dewalt series as well at $269 for a combo kit.. any takers?  i will be giving this a good hard look since i was looking at the XR series

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/combo-kits/2798-22ct

2798-22CT_kit.png

im leaning towards this vs the dewalt Xr series just dont want to pre order something then read a review a week later finding some major flaw or that its not as good etc..... im also debating buying this combo or just get a brushless m18fuel drill cons are its larger heavier and only 1 tool vs  impact and drill for close to same price

I talked to the Milwaukee rep at work and he said the new brushless stuff is what they are going to use to replace the current non fuel stuff this will not have the same wow factor, build quality, or ingenuity as the fuel line this is basically a replacement for the 2691-22 then again I think Milwaukee is doing the right thing not calling it fuel because it does not give the false impression that its there the top of the line.

I haven't seen it out or heard of any reviews yet but I would recommend this be the way you go... very few people will ever utilize the full potential of the top end drills and impacts. It's a good bet that this will be plenty powerful for your needs.

I would take Milwaukee over Dewalt any day, they make excellent products, have a great 18v line if you ever wanted to expand and I would think there is very little chance that either of these are going to have any issues. That's what return policy's and warrantys are for, right!!

• Like 2

im tempted to just get an m18 fuel brushless drill/driver setup like the 2603-22ct with 2 2.0 batteries... for my needs it might be plenty and i was just getting the combo for the cheaper impact... i can most likely live with just the drill especially if i buy the more powerful fuel one .. i like the auto shut off feature (redlink plus) in the fuel line to prevent drill damage.. does anyone know if the new compact line even has that built in?  might be a deciding factor .Oddly enough m,y wife of all people brought that up last night

finally ordered the combo kit!!!   got some sweet black oxide drill bits and a shockwave 66pc bit set also .. the search is over :)

Good for you tool cop. Be sure to let us know what you think of the brushless tools. You'll probably be the first guy to get them so it would be neat to get your opinion.