DeWalt DCF620 20V Brushless Drywall Screwguns

madman_us

I have seen no plans for a square drive bit for the collated attachment. 

The Phillips bit will start shipping next week. It is a proprietary bit (DWA6PHC2-5 or DWA6PHC2-B25) that has to be used with the collated attachment. Are you using collated screws with a square drive?

I have seen no plans for a square drive bit for the collated attachment. 

The Phillips bit will start shipping next week. It is a proprietary bit (DWA6PHC2-5 or DWA6PHC2-B25) that has to be used with the collated attachment. Are you using collated screws with a square drive?

Yes. Square drive collated screws.

I called DeWalt customer service and they referred me to Quik Drive (Simpson) as they supposedly made the collated attachment for DeWalt. No luck on either end. Quik Drive said the screws manufacturers make their own bits for their own screws. 

What a mess!

Do you have a model # for the square drive screws you are using?

Also, is their a reason you prefer the square drive over the phillips drive? Are you doing drywall or are these for decking?

Primeguard Plus P158 1-5/8" deck screws for fencing.

I have about 30 boxes of screws that we use for fence pickets.

I have been using the Ridgid Collated 110V screw gun which has. 6" driver but the diameter is too large for the DeWalt collated gun.

The #2 Phillips bits that came with the DCF6201 are stamped DeWalt so they were obviously made for DeWalt and I find it hard to believe DeWalt didn't or isn't planning on making an assortment of drivers for this gun.

That's not entirely true. There are certain brands selling screws for square bits, but to be honest, they suck bigtime.

Torx is where it's at...or even better; Wurth Assy (improved torx)

We have been using Polymer coated deck screws in a collated strip for years. All square drive. No issues that I can recall. We can run about 2500 screws on one tip the grind off about 1/32" that's worn and get another 2,000-2500 screws.

The DCF620 is not meant for decking/Fencing. Typically decking guns run at a lower RPM than a drywall gun.

I don't know of any drywall screws that are square drive, If we see a large demand for drywall fasteners that are anything other than Phillips, we will look into offering other tips. 

Who knows, maybe we'll make a version of the DCF620 that is made for Decking/Fencing at some point.

I'll run some tests with loose screws first to see how well it does.

The Ridgid collated gun runs both drywall and deck screws. I'll compare technical specs as well.

I'm primarily screwing 5/8" cedar pickets into PT Pine. I can't imagine it would be a problem.

That's not entirely true. There are certain brands selling screws for square bits, but to be honest, they suck bigtime.

Torx is where it's at...or even better; Wurth Assy (improved torx)

I recommend reading 'One Good Turn'. It's a book chronicling the development of the screw and screw driver. The square drive, or Robertson screw, is discussed near the end and is really quite an exceptional development.

Stopped by HD today and saw the Dewalt drywall screwgun it feels really nice in the hand it sucks though that I couldn't try it out the battery was dead already but looks very cool.

I just looked online at local inventory and all HD's in my area have 1 - 2 and it says "pickup at prodesk" in the store map. Strange. Must be anticipated as a highly stolen item.

I never see that before at a Home Depot before. They actually removed some security at the stores around me. They used to lock up the big combo tool kits and they stopped that. Klein tools are in a cage in the electrical isle though.

• 1 month later...

Home Depot display tools have always had a special bracket fastened to the battery and tool to prevent the battery from being removed. The screw gun must have been used for demo purposes because there was a 2x4 with holes and the battery was dead. It was not protected and I was able to remove and installed the battery. First time I've ever done that at H.D. That's an $89. battery at H.D., wonder how long till someone tries to walk out with it.

I've been using the gun for the past 2 days. Still framing, but have thrown a bunch of boards up already. The gun works great. Seems allost as fast as a corded drywall gun. It doesn't sound very powerful but it drives screws quickly. Even with the motor running you can still hear everything around you. Big plus compared to my corded guns.

I havent had a true test of the battery life, but so far they seem to be lasting for a while. I would bet with a 4.0 you could hang 25+ 5/8 10' 16" o.c.