Commercial Construction Tool List

FrosBros82

Out of entertainment, I thought I would post what tools you need to have to be a superintendent at the company I work for. All tools must be owned by each super, the larger items (miter saw, table saw, etc) are provided by the company.

Tool bags, hammer, pliers, chalk box (red, blue), 25' tape, 100' tape, cat's paw, flat bar, 8 lb. sledge, work boots, safety glasses, utility knife, rebar pliers, speed square, framing square, 2,4,6 foot levels, string line, vise grip, wire reel, quick grips, tin snips, cold chisels, wood chisels, hack saw, hand saw, plumb bob, nail sets, screw driver set, crescent wrench, palm sander, circular saw, jig saw, drill, impact, 3/8" corded drill, drill bits, hole saws, caulking gun, mag, pool trowel, margin trowel.

Big list huh?! This also doesn't include the random tools that you go out and buy for job specific items. Does anyone else have to provided a list similar to this? Some think the contractor should provide tools, but the benefit to buying your own is you can take them home with you.

FB82

My shop is the same way. There are a couple of us myself included that are loaded to the hilt. I have what you have plus about 4 cases of fasteners from drywall screws to door hardware. Grinders, concrete tools, screw guns, saws, you name it. I like the fact that when I get to a job I rarely have to go shopping. When the guys ask me "Hey J, you got a grinder with a diamond wheel, a tube of silicon and some 2-3/4" Tapcons in your truck?" It makes me feel part hero and part contestant on Lets Make a Deal! Haha

thats a good sized list but all really good stuff to have.. how quickly do they expect you to get it?

i can see the benefit for them is one, not having to buy and maintain tools but also that you will tend to take care of your own tools better resulting in less down time and two,  having the right tools on site to get the job done saves a bunch of time for the company.

being self employed owning a remodeling company my list of tools is insanely huge but i love having the right tools for the job!!

• Like 1

They say on the list that you should have all tools within 30 days.... but lets get real here, that Is no likely for the average Joe. Tools are expensive, so unless you owned them prior to this job the average person is not going to be able to buy all of those tools in one calendar month.

Also, you guys make a good point in that a person usually takes care of their tools a lot better than the companies or someone else's tools. I personally like owning my own since I can use them whenever I want.

FB82