Looking to buy a miter saw

FrosBros82

In the process of deciding what compound sliding miter saw I would like to buy. I have been hearing good things about Bosch, Makita and DeWalt. Can anyone provide me with some information about this? I am leaning towards going with a 10" model as I feel the blade stays true when you are doing trim work. Also, I would prefer to buy something wit the stand included so I can get it in and out of my truck easier.

Thanks,

FB82

Welcome to the forum FB82. I did a pretty extensive research into this very matter. I have the Kapex from Festool but my short list (assuming you want a double bevel sliding miter saw) boiled down to the following saws:

Festool KAPEX

Dewalt DWS780

Dewalt DW717

Bosch Axial Glide

Makita LS1016L

Makita LS1216L

Milwaukee 6955-20

Hitachi C12RSH

The KAPEX is by far the most expensive machine in this list and I am biased but it is the best machine out there. What you need to do is figure out what you are doing with the saw and what size blade you need. 10" blades are fantastic as you can run your table saw with the same size blades. My top priorities were Dust Control and Accuracy and space. In my opinion KAPEX takes it but for $1400 it should. The Dewalt DWS780 and Milwaukee seemed to be the two machines that I felt most comfortable taking the plunge on with the Bosch in fourth place. The Hitachi actually is a great saw and the sliding mechanism is great, very similar to the KAPEX and Milwaukee in that there is no rear slide so you can put the machine against the wall. DR99 is dead on, the Bosch Axial Glide can also do this. For me space was an issue and the Dewalt unfortunately does not sit flat against the wall but I am pretty confident that was the machine I was going to get (but I ended up scoring big on the KAPEX). Reading JLC reviews and talking to the pro members here, I felt that was the saw I would get the most use out of and biggest bang for my buck. Expensive but worth it. The Milwaukee was right up there too, just more expensive. You have to ask yourself though, what are you going to do with the machine. Many of the guys here are manufacturer biased while quite a few don't care so you are likely to get a lot of direction one way or the other but to ask a question like this requires a little homework for you too, to get a really solid answer. In my opinion, the above mentioned machines are top of the line saws with great features and capabilities. I'm sure other may disagree but as you can see from my rainbow colored listing, I really don't care about makes (outside of my KAPEX....duhhhh :). )

• Like 1

It has to be a balance of your budget, cut needs/capacity, weight, & dust collection.

I have heard really good things about the Bosch Axial glide. They have a 10" available. Complaints I have heard with those saws are they are HEAVY! Dust collection can be improved actually by snapping on a Kapex dust boot onto the Bosch.

I own the Dewalt 718 (older 780) and it was a great saw for me for years. Weight was ok. Cut quality was decent but the rails can deflect pretty easy at full extension.

If you don't need huge cross cut capacity ditch the slider and do a great dual bevel regular miter saw.

I also own the Kapex and it does excell in all features...but as Chris said...it should!

Do you have any specific models you are looking at?

Aside from the Kapex which is worth more than an African Elephant, DWS780 is the most accurate saw on the market with the XPS light system in many people's opinion. I got mine and aside from imperfect slides (at full extension it binds a bit) it's cut quality is amazing. Mine came out of the box accurate to 1/4 of a degree. 

I have 780 and love it man especially the XPS light system and I got a deWalt stand with mine during the holidays now I know it doesn't sit flush against a wall which is a lil bummer but wasn't a deal breaker for me I looked at the Bosh which also looks and felt great the hitachi was pretty nice also I even was debating on getting the 782 which does not have the XPS lighting and can't have one attached from what I read and identical from what I seen for $200 cheaper read a lot of great reviews on it 2 but glad I went with the 780 the XPS system is awesome and comes in so handy working in dark areas, I've only owned for a couple months but love that beast.

Thanks for all of the responses! I am doing lots of trim and fine cutting if that makes sense, so I am leaning towards a saw where the blade is going to stay true. I have heard decent things about Milwaukee's 12" but I have also heard you really have to get the saw going so the blade will straighten out. I don't plan on cutting  2x12 so I don't think a 12" is something I am going to need at this time.

Yeah, that's a good point in terms of the stand. If it was just going to stay stationary I would just build something for my garage. However, I am going to be using it at different locations, so I think a built in stand with wheels is the way to go for me. I am leaning towards the Bosch since that is the only one I have really used for a long period of time.

FB82

And lasers are? Unless it's literally direct sunlight it still gives a shadow outside, I just rotate my saw to shadow it's self and I get a line all day long. 

Definitely glad you are getting better results with yours. I do like it, just haven't had great results outdoors with it. You are correct that lasers aren't much better in sunlight either.

ill add my $.02 

i used to own the makita ls1016 but had a bunch of issues with it.. it seems that they have straightened some of them out but i cant speak for sure(i bought mine the day it was released so i could have had some first batch issues).. accuracy was the main issues i had..    with that said i would actually advise you to look into the makita ls1018, its a new saw they just released at a lower price point and on paper it actually seems to address all the issues i had with my 1016   maybe makita smartened up and simplified the saw to get some sales back..    the motor on my makita was great and it looks like that has carried over to the 1018..   at 400 that would be a hard saw to beat in my opinion

i now have the kapex but i know that is not for everyone..   it is a damn nice saw though and leave you wanting nothing.    it is just excellent.   for the next 3 or 4 days you can actually get it for 10% off    also, if you can justify the cost, they have the 30 day no questions asked return policy so try it out and see what you think. 

my second choice after the makita would be the bosch axial cm10gd     I've heard great things about the bosch saws and don't think you can go wrong there.. 

I've got the Milwaukee 6955-20.  I bought a recon from CPO when they were having a recon sale so got a killer deal. Once I squared it up, it cuts straight and true every time.  I can't speak to some of the other saws, but a buddy of mine has a Dewalt 780 with the crunchy slides that's really hard to push.  The slides on the Milwaukee are quite nice.  You will have to invest in a stock clamp if you're into that sort of thing, as the saw doesn't come with one.  The Bosch one fits and works well.

One thing I can add is - get yourself a good quality blade.  The difference between the stock blade and a chopmaster is night and day for rigidity and staying true cutting through PT 2x12s.

• Like 1

I can't speak to some of the other saws, but a buddy of mine has a Dewalt 780 with the crunchy slides that's really hard to push.  The slides on the Milwaukee are quite nice. .

that's a question about adjustment.. Tell your friend to contact Dewalt service, and they can explain how..

After extensive research I am going to go with a 10" saw, just still debating about the brand. Have read good things about Bosch, Makita and DeWalt. Unless I can find something glaring, I might just go with the cheapest option here.... even though I know I'll be forking over about $900 (including the stand).

FB82

Damian, before you buy that saw verify the amperage of the motor. The HD site says its 13amps then 15 amps. 13amps isn't too bad but I used to have a 7-1/4 Craftsman slider that wood (GET IT....haaaaaaa!) bogged down on wide planks. It'd cut em but just slow down a bit. A new blade will cure that problem. Also Ryobi is a good brand. There are a LOT of people including my Dad who is an awesome finish guy and he uses a lot of Ryobi tools in his home retirement shop. Remember just because you get this saw you can always upgrade the blade and depending on what you want in the future pic up a bigger one later on.

• Like 1