Painted oak table

FrosBros82

Came across a guy who is going to give me an old oak table. However, it currently has paint on it and it needs to be redone. Any advice on the proper way to take the paint off? Not sure if I want to plane it because I am worried about the paint being buried into the wood. Scrape it by hand? Any advice would be appreciated.

FB82

Paint stripper. There are several different kinds. Paint it on wait several hours and use a plastic putty knife to scrap/ wipe it off. Depending on the amount of paint it may take a couple applications. My wife and I just refinished two doors in our home from 1930 and this is the method we used. If you are interested I can dig up the name of the stripper we used...haha

when you sand it off the paint doesnt dig in the wood.

what you think the pros do when they refurbish old hardwood flooring ? they sand it ! :P

+1 for this. If you think theres a lot of layers and might be tough to sand through, I have used paint stripper that you apply then scrape off later and it works really good. I think the last stuff I used was the Citristrip from Home Depot.