Lumber Liquidators is scewed they sold toxic flooring

DR99

I bet Lowes and Home Depot feel really good after seeing this report. It's pretty scary formeldhyde is some pretty nasty stuff. Travel Trailers had the same problem its used in really cheap glue. I think your better off with traditional hardwood floors myself. If they start to look shitty either refinish or call it distressed :)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lumber-liquidators-linked-to-health-and-safety-violations/

• Like 1

The cost to refund the materials is going to be huge, but that's nothing compared to labor and medical claims. I imagine if someone were installing these floors regularly makings cuts in the wood they would have some serious health risks from contact and dust inhalation. 

I had a customer that had 900 Sq/Ft of their laminate flooring  and asked me to put it down and I turned the job down. First I don't like using laminate flooring. I'll used engineered or solid flooring. They had the stuff setting in their house and it had a chemical smell to it and I even asked them if they could smell it and shouldn't it have a wood smell to it.

laminate flooring is basical MDF with a veneer glued to it and engineered flooring has a plywood base with a veneer glued to it and solid is solid.  

Uh oh, we just installed LL bamboo flooring and an engineered hardwood in our house. I hope these two products are ok. If not I need to know how to fix it

Did it come from lumber liquidators and if you listen to the people working in the plant they said that they could make it compliant but it would cost you more but lumber liquidators does not want to pay.

It just sounds from this report that the laminate flooring is the product with the formaldehyde  problem. These companies need to be smarter if they want to buy Chinese materials. China can produce good quality stuff we do see high quality tools and technology come out from there, but you have to have your own inspectors making sure they don't cut corners. There was that big class action drywall lawsuit a few years ago. The drywall had too much hydrogen sulfide in it.

It just sounds from this report that the laminate flooring is the product with the formaldehyde  problem. These companies need to be smarter if they want to buy Chinese materials. China can produce good quality stuff we do see high quality tools and technology come out from there, but you have to have your own inspectors making sure they don't cut corners. There was that big class action drywall lawsuit a few years ago. The drywall had too much hydrogen sulfide in it.

Thing is when talking to the mill owners it seems like they were very open about it being outside the regulations so looks like lumber liquidators knew this no mater how much they deny it.