hopper gun + air compressor

madman_us

question to our pro's and the rest of the TIA crew.

after a weekend of rain and storm the weather goes slighty back to normal 75 degrees and sun.

finally i can go back to my local hardware store and buy couple more drywall sheets to finish my dining room.

after that i can apply tape and mud, and sand it smooth.

i can borrow my friends hopper gun to apply the texture on the wall; this one requires 2.4 cfm @90psi 

the wall is not that big, so i was thinking to use the tiny PC pancake compressor from him which i have left from the framing job. but that one has the same cfm rate than the gun. and 4gal is not that much.

i was thinking to apply the texture with the hopper gun until the pressure gets too low to go on.

then wait until its back filled.

or do i need a bigger compressor like 15gal, 20gal to tackle that job with around 5cfm@90psi?

0227151804_zpsjvp72i47.jpg

0227151804a_zpsuhkqqyao.jpg

Be cautious of the spray, wait, spray process. You do want the texture to set up a bit before knocking it down but you want it all to dry somewhat uniformly. I would suggest renting/borrowing a larger compressor to allow you to spray it all at once.

• Like 1

Nice work madman! Looks like a really clean install.. I wish I could offer you some advice on the texture but I just really don't do any of it.. it's not popular on the walls in this region and most people pay me to take it off their ceilings, not put it on! :) it sounds like you could probably get by with the compressor you have now but going bigger would be the safe move. Did you ask you friend what compressor he uses to spray texture. Maybe he knows that pancake compressor works just fine?

• Like 1

my friend hires a company to drywall his custom homes....

but i think he might have a wheelbarrow compressor i might can use...hes just so busy lol.

ya we had popcorn ceiling in this house which i already took off when we moved in and i made it nice and smooth.

the whole house has a orange peel / knockdown at the wall....i kinda dont like it either lol....but i have to apply it that it gonna match the  other 2 walls in that room haha.

I talked to my drywall guy and he said he likes to use sheetrock spray texture unaggregated and the longer you wait to knock it down the rougher the texture and you should use something bigger than a pancake compressor and practice.  

MM you could go with the pray and spray technique.

lol im confused, explain :D

I talked to my drywall guy and he said he likes to use sheetrock spray texture unaggregated and the longer you wait to knock it down the rougher the texture and you should use something bigger than a pancake compressor and practice.  

thanks rego for the advice - great to get some input from a pro.

i talked to my buddy today and he will give me his gas powered wheelbarrow air compressor....that will get the job done.

yeah you are right overanalyze....thats what i was trying to do....

a 15gal with 5cfm@90psi would do the job when the gun needs 2.2 cfm@90psi.

You will be much happier using the larger compressor. We are spraying a ceiling Friday and will be bringing our 25 gallon to the site. I have done it with a smaller compressor and it sucks having to wait for it to pump back up.

As another suggestion. Don't use powder texture. Just thin regular drywall mud. This way you eliminate possible dry chunks in your mix.