My Bosch RHH181 Review

overanalyze

Hey Guys! Here is a review I wrote and posted at another forum. Hopefully you find it useful!

I have been using sds drills in my work for a long time. We drill for Tapcons, LDT's, rebar pins, and other misc. masonry fasteners or holes. Once we switched from a regular hammer-drill to an sds 13+ years ago, there was no going back. I received the new Bosch 18v brushless sds rotary hammer drill from the BTP rewards list. This is my review and comparison to the other 2 sds drills I own and have used frequently in the past.

The tools:

Bosch RHH181-01

Weight: 5.8 lbs with handle and 4 amp Fatpack 4.2 lbs bare tool

DB level no-load: 84

No-load RPM: 1400

No-load BPM: 4500

Rated Max Capacity in concrete: 3/4”

Dewalt DC233 36v

Weight: 8.8 lbs with handle and battery 5.6 lbs bare tool

DB level no-load: 84

No-load RPM: 1150

No-load BPM: 4400

Rated Max Capacity in concrete: 1”

Dewalt D25303 110v

Weight: 7.6 lbs with handle

DB level no load: 84

No-load RPM: 1000

No-load BPM: 4300

Rated Max Capacity in concrete: 1”

The noise level was determined by running the tool next to my phone using a free DB app. I don't know how accurate the numbers are, but they do all seem close in noise level. If anything the Dewalt 36v sounds a little quieter to me.

I wanted to test the difference in speed of drilling between the tools. I used a CMU block (Concrete Masonry Unit) to drill into. I used a stopwatch and stopped as soon as the bit broke through the bottom of the web. The web was 2.25 inches thick. A standard CMU can be anywhere from 1,000 psi to 2500 psi. in strength.

Here are the results from different size bits. When I used pressure or weight I did my best to apply my weight to each tool the same, but this wasn't a scientific test.

1/2” Bit no weight applied:

Bosch: 15 seconds

Dewalt 36v: 13 seconds

110v Dewalt: 14 seconds

1/2” Bit pressure applied:

Bosch: 5 seconds

Dewalt 36v: 8 seconds

110v Dewalt: 7 seconds

3/16” Bit pressure applied (most common Tapcon bit)

Bosch: 4 seconds

Dewalt 36v: 5 seconds

110v Dewalt: 3 seconds

1” Bit Pressure Applied

Bosch: 23 seconds

Dewalt 36v: 43 seconds

110v Dewalt: 27 seconds

The results were a bit surprising. I expected my 36v to perform better due to its size. The Bosch performed much better with weight or pressure applied while running the drill. This is the normal way for me , and I presume most, to drill holes in masonry. The brushless motor seems to give it plenty of power and it holds it's own compared to the other two models.

The vibration between the models varied quite a bit. The Dewalt 36v has “Shocks” anti-vibration. It makes a difference. The 110v Dewalt we own does not have any anti-vibration nor does the Bosch. The Bosch definitely transferred some vibration to the handle, but not anywhere close to the 110v Dewalt. I also noticed the Bosch bounced around a bit more on the initial start of drilling holes than the other two. If you would start with a slower speed, it was easier to start a hole in a specific location using the Bosch.

I also operated the two cordless models in chipping mode to see how they compared. They both felt very similar to each other. I use this feature when I need to remove a few bricks or clean some mortar off of concrete in small amounts. This feature is important to have, but not used a lot by me. If you have a bunch of demo to complete a larger demo hammer and air hammer is still better.

The balance and feel of the Bosch was very comfortable. It is not my favorite handle design. I prefer the style of handle the Dewalt's have, though that may be just because that is what I have used over the years. I tend to grip the Bosch like a drywall screw gun. It seems balanced when I do that. The Bosch is the lightest of the three and you can feel that. I actually thought the 110v Dewalt felt the heaviest, but it was in the middle of the three. Using the Bosch overhead or in a horizontal position all day would definitely be better due to it's lighter weight.

I know the overall head-to-head isn't a perfect comparison between the models. The two drills I own are 7-8 years old and have been used quite a bit. I would expect new tools with new technology to perform differently/better than my older tools.

My initial overall impression of the Bosch is a positive one. I wished they had included anti-vibration technology into this drill. It would have been a nice feature to have. The tool is very comfortable and balanced while using it. When we drill concrete, we tend to drill a lot of holes at once. The tool seems like it will be more comfortable to use all day than what I am used to because of the lighter weight. The power of the tool was equal or better to the other models I am used to operating. I look forward to this replacing my heavier 36v for daily use.

Here are a couple youtube links as well.

• Like 2

I have the Bosch drill you reviewed, and for everything I need to do it works great (electrician)! I believe the 3/4 rating you were talking about is for poured concrete. I couldn't find what size hole you can do for block, but it really doesn't have a problem with holes bigger then 3/4. Another function that comes in really handy is the chipping function. Your not going to tear up floors with it, but for the small jobs it does a really solid job. Great Review!

• Like 1