angle grinder cut off wheels

madman_us

grinders are like any tool, knowledge of use and safety is key however grinder + cut off wheels usually are more dangerous only because 75% of people don't have patience and tend to rush the cut......

which brand do you guys use?

i grab here and there some up for my 4-1/2" grinder for 3 bucks a piece from HD.

they actually dont really last so long.

I get those same ones MM but I've picked a few of the Diablos that BK mentioned and they do last pretty long

i checked HD tonight and how it looks like i always bought the diablo ones lol - never really looked at the brand.

however i bought couple of the thin thin cutting wheels couple weeks - they dont last that long, maybe i should go a size thicker:D or i just gonna buy the 5" wheels - even those fit in the 4-1/2 grinder

I don't really like cut off wheels very much.... I was cutting off some tabs that somebody had welded on my Jeep bumper before I bought it, and exploded a couple of them (DeWalt brand). Probably operator error, maybe rushing the cut, maybe putting a side load on them, I dunno.

Wear your PPE! I hate to think what might have happened had I not been wearing goggles!

What kind of projects are you using it for Comp or should I say uses?

mainly for clean up of wood, some times sanding high points for quick removal.....uses like this is usually not suggested as a grinder is not the best for uniformity but with good eye hand coordination and many years of grinder use it is good........no different than a guy carving with a chainsaw....lol

the life of cutoff discs is largely dependent of how good you are with the tool.. the straighter you hold the grinder to the cut line the longer the discs will last, they really dont like any side pressure. 

I currently use the Diablos from HD and am happy with them. I have gone the cheap route in the past and have gone through a bunch of the HF wheels, i have never had one explode on me but they wear out much fsater than the diablos

I have heard excelent things about walter cutoff discs www.walter.com   i will probably try these someday

also SAIT is supposed to make good wheels and they are made in the US 

at some point i was going to make a grinder video, maybe ill also make a cutoff disc comparison video..  no promise it will be any time soon though... 

the life of cutoff discs is largely dependent of how good you are with the tool.. the straighter you hold the grinder to the cut line the longer the discs will last, they really dont like any side pressure. 

I currently use the Diablos from HD and am happy with them. I have gone the cheap route in the past and have gone through a bunch of the HF wheels, i have never had one explode on me but they wear out much fsater than the diablos

I have heard excelent things about walter cutoff discs www.walter.com   i will probably try these someday

also SAIT is supposed to make good wheels and they are made in the US 

at some point i was going to make a grinder video, maybe ill also make a cutoff disc comparison video..  no promise it will be any time soon though...

Too bad to live all the way across the country. I have a stack of grinders I could have let you use for the video.