M18 Jigsaw

gsxr_1983

does anyone actually use a jigsaw enough on site to warrant needing a brushless one? what do you use it for?

Well I'm waiting for the Milwaukee barrel grip to make it's way across the pound and just think that if they release it here it will be brush less. If not I will still get it because I like the barrel grip over a top Handel.

does anyone actually use a jigsaw enough on site to warrant needing a brushless one? what do you use it for?

off the top of my head, I use my jigsaw for a bunch or stuff on the job site.. never really for finish work but rather rough work... either when the cut will be covered or some final routing or sanding finishes the job..

sink cutouts, duct and outlet cutouts in the back if cabinets and such

cutting templates for routing and then rough cutting the blanks to the aproximate template shape to reduce the amount of material that the router needs to take off

scribing cabinet sides and other parts to fit to a wall.. only when a lot of material needs to be removed. Especially when scribing material to crazy surfaces like stone or wood

coping moldings

And square cutting inside corners when you can't over cut the piece ( a circular saw requires you to cut past your lines to cut fully through the piece) cutting stair stringers is one instance where I use this method.. most of the cut with a circular and then finish up the inside corners with a jigsaw so not to overcut.

Brushless isn't necessary but added power and runtime is always welcome. Especially since cordless jigsaws aren't known for their runtime... to me it's not so much about motor life or brush maintenance... that's really not such a big deal with most brushed tools anyway

NER makes a good point about the stair stringers, I prefer to use a jigsaw myself, however, I have seen others use a recip saw since they say they can keep the blade straighter. Not sure if that is true or not, but to each their own. I don't really think I would ever spend the money on a brushless tool that I won't use too much, but the runtime is enticing.

FB82

ooo shit!!  look out, mister exclusive is in the house!!

that picture is going to give Madman wet dreams tonight!  lol  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

nice saw man, cool to know the coping foot fits it.. ive got one for my carvex and love it..   on the carvex its nice because its tool free to take it on and off. thats my favorite feature of the carvex

the m12 jigsaw is really nice but i have no need for it. I got the JS572EBL and thats a heck of a jigsaw :P.

i dont have any Bosch 12V tools yet.

I fit kitchens so would come in handy to have a brushless as your using it all day, the m18 jigsaws nice and smooth but does need updating, great for the price I got it but could do with being slightly lighter and smaller so its a bit more nimble but to be honest it does everything I need,  I'd like a light on it too which you can turn on when needed.

i should have put yet into cap :D NOT YET haha

i will get 12V items as soon as i find a delicious deal, i just piled up some more 18V items. which are awesome.

Good, I was worried about you... laughing...

• 2 weeks later...

I moved out to California from Massachusetts and the only saw I brought out here is the bosch 18v jig saw. I've used it to cut studs, metal posts, tops off 6x6 fence posts. Nothing it's really meant for, but I realized how versatile a jig saw can be (with the right blade).

I'm with you Sparky. I'm investing in brushless tools and thus far my two Dewalts are my last brushed motors besides my CXS. BUT....my Dewalt DCD985 was made here and I won't be getting rid of that powerhouse. My circular saw well that another matter.

I have the original circular saw 20v and have been waiting for Dewalt to come out with a brushless one but I haven't read or heard of any in the makes, I really love it a lot it has never failed me though that fuel one from milwaukee looks like a beast to have.

Like you Mike, I really like my 20v saw. I'm really thinking long and hard on the Makita now! But man, I was repairing the floor during our remodel and I was plunging that saw into some really old hardwood floors and it did just great.