If you could start again

DarynH

So basically I'm married to the milwaukee 18v system, I have probably over 20 m18 tools, which close to half are fuel and 10 batteries. Sometimes I find myself looking over the fence at the greener grass. Just curious if there is anyone else who would possibly change brands if they had to start over?

Not how I thought that post was going to turn out haha.

I was raised on milwaukee so it's hard for me to see past it. But I do have Dewalt and makita tools as well. For me I am not dedicated to one lineup, mainly cause they change battery platforms with the rising and setting of the sun and it's hard for me to keep up.

I go back and forth DarynH. I like to try tools from different lines all the time but I have a small wood shop and am not a pro so my tools tiding normally have to get hauled all over Gods creation. Therefore multiple battery lines aren't an issue.

• Like 1

I started out with the 20v Dewalt and don't get me wrong at the time it seemed to be the latest and greatest but there line up kind of fell flat, this is why I made the jump to the m12 line and really like them and know ping what I know now I might pick the m18 line.

Extra battery platforms don't bother me, I have 18v Milwaukee and Makita and 12v Milwaukee. I'm thinking I may get into the Bosch 12v line, and there's an outside possibility I could get into the IR IQ20v line.

I'm in the same boat as Chris, I have a shop that I work in at my own pace as a hobby more than anything, I like nice tools and I do have an extensive line of Milwaukee but when it comes to some specialty tools I'm not afraid to buy other brands especially if they offer what I need.

as for cordless tools drill/impact/sawzall/circular/multi/grinder there is no need for me to have different brands. I'm quite happy with my m12 and m18 line up...

I started with Dewalt 18v then jumped on the new 20v/18v which I still own and love today but I did jump into the Milwaukee team to for there mechanics tools and plus there m12 line is awesome, I do find myself lookin more n more into the m18 line cus Dewalt has been lagging lately....

i use my tools daily, and they get a lot of abuse. I have been impressed with the batteries and the impacts the most.

i have been using dewalts 20v max tools for the past few years. although i often find myself wishing i went with Milwaukee. At the time when i bought my first 20v tool, the tools felt better and performed well. I am envious of all the m18 tools available, but when i look at what else i would buy if i went to m18 there isnt anything and they all cost more then i pay for my dewalt stuff. The warranty and repair service is better with milwaulkee from what i have seen with some of my employees.

i have

8- batteries- (4-4AH, 2-3AH, 2-1.5AH my original 3ah are still good almost 3yrs later

2-brushless impacts (my go to is the one with the push button to remove the tip) this is the most comfortable impact i have ever used.

1-brushless hammer drill/driver

2- AC/DC vacuums

1-6 1/2" circ

1-sawzall

1-flash light

1-jobsite radio/charger

issues i have had

1-vacuum motor died - repaired for free

1-chuck broke on original non brushless hammer drill/driver-- would nt replace or fix (in my tool graveyard)

1- charger died - replaced for free

1- radio voliume knob broke- repaired for free

when tools do need repaired, i have to pay to ship them, and it oftens takes weeks to recieve repaired tools.

Milwaukee pays to ship them back, and has them back to you in a week.

Daryn, Its funny you say that.. I have felt the exact same way in the past... 

I have Makita 18v and am just like you around 30 tools and 14 batteries..     if you asked me about 6 months ago i would have said that i really wanted to switch to m18.  at the time makita had not come out with a decent new tool in a long time.. i was getting pretty tired of what i had and the grass definitely looked greener on the other side.    because i was so invested i stayed and now im really glad i did..   

Makita has really stepped up their game in the last few months with some amazing new tool releases and there are more to come.   i have been picking them up one bare tool at a time as they come out.   

no one brand is always going to be able to have the latest and greatest of everything you want. I think your in a pretty good line with Milwaukee

what are your issues with your current line and what are you wanting to switch to?

I've been really looking at makita lately, my problem with big red is that they haven't gotten into the carpentry side of things much. Seems like everyone else has wider offerings. I'd like to see Milwaukee step up and get into nailers, update the jigsaw and Multi tool. But on the other hand if it's not their forte then I don't want a sub par tool that they would push out just to compete.

I wouldn't want to steer you away from Makita, I think they make some of the best tools out there, but they really dont have much in the way of nail guns for their 18v line and their multitool, while it gets the job done, is nothing to write home about..   the new BL jigsaw on the other hand.... now thats one hell of a saw :) 

I did just have a Milwaukee rep hint to me that they are working on bringing m18 nail guns to market.  dont quote me on it, thats how i interpenetrated his hints (they were pretty clear)  i've got no idea on timeline or what guns it will be first

Also with the good possibility makita is finally adding status gauges to their batteries they corrected to one big issue I had making them even more appealing.

amen to that!!    that has been an annoyance of mine for a long time now.   i have long lusted over the illusive makita battery fuel gauge! haha

its nice that they have been putting a gauge on most of their new tools but it would be great to have them on the battery itself. 

i wouldnt expect to see those for a year or more though..   like Kornomaniac said, they are going to want to run through their old stock of non fuel gauge batteries first 

for someone like me with so many batteries already, even if those did come to the states i wouldn't have a need for them except as my current batteries died, which is not very often at all..   a few of my batteries are 5-6 years old and still going strong!

Yeah i'm still checking my new  tool deliveries daily for the first batteries with gauges on them :D  No luck so far.  

But it'll be months most likely :)   I've got it conformed they are in production but like Ner said... they'll sell out the old stock before adding the batteries with gauges.

As for the multitool:  Ner, have you ever tried the makita next to other brands,  I compared it with the BL bosch and the Fein ( that was a 14 volt tho.  Last year Fein didnt have an 18 volt. not sure if they do now ) and the Makita wins by a margin.   The only thing bosch had more interesting was the system to lock the tool.

But for power / vibration and even runtime the makita won actually. ( quite strange since the Bosch was a BL motor )

Lol yeah the battery gauge is a big win for team makita.

The Milwaukee Multi tool isn't much to talk about either, it does what it needs to but lacks power and the build quality seems low.

I just hope with the milwaukee event coming up they can pull me back off the fence haha

Yeah i'm still checking my new  tool deliveries daily for the first batteries with gauges on them :D  No luck so far.  

But it'll be months most likely :)   I've got it conformed they are in production but like Ner said... they'll sell out the old stock before adding the batteries with gauges.

As for the multitool:  Ner, have you ever tried the makita next to other brands,  I compared it with the BL bosch and the Fein ( that was a 14 volt tho.  Last year Fein didnt have an 18 volt. not sure if they do now ) and the Makita wins by a margin.   The only thing bosch had more interesting was the system to lock the tool.

But for power / vibration and even runtime the makita won actually. ( quite strange since the Bosch was a BL motor )

wow, i would not have expected that, it doesn't seem likely. i have the bosch, but not really used the Makita. Makita do have the tool-less blade changed on their more recent model.

the BL motor is handy though, multi-tools chew through the juice...

to be honest i havent really.. i only have the older model without the quick change and at one point was having some trouble with the blades fitting the adapter well.. at that point i sort of wrote it off and haven't used it much since, ill have to give it another try..    im assuming when they made the update to quick change they didnt change the internals of the tool at all so they should perform the same?