If you could start again

DarynH

I hate to admit this on account that I have the Bosch and it rocks....but I read an article on (I think) This is Carpentry and they rated the Makita as the best multi tool.

oh wow, there you go. Its a pity TIA couldn't include it in their (reasonably) recent comparison.

I have the Milwaukee m18 multi tool and for little as I use it it it works fine. How often do you guys use a multi tool and for what.

I use mine on trim jobs, and floor installation. It's amazing at cutting the bottom of a door jamb and casing for floors. I have also used it to mortise a door or two to accept different locksets.

Well I'm not complaining Dwain! I used it a couple of weeks ago to tear into 65 year old knotty board walls and hardwood floors and the thing was a champ and the blade change is slick as snot. It's a pretty large tool but the dreams of Vecturo have been dashed. The Bosch is doing me just fine!

All of my cordless gear is from Milwaukee.  I'm quite happy with all of them and wouldn't switch even if someone offered to swap every tool for a different brand.

My multi-tool is the only cucko in the nest.  After my Dewalt NiCd drill's transmission (is that even what the torque selector ring is called?) bit the dust, I went yellow with the Dewalt 20v Multi-Tool.  I use it occasionally and I always enjoy using it when I get it out.  The only real problem that I've got with it is that I've only got the one 1.5 AH battery that came in the kit.  All of my other battery powered tools ended up being red and I just don't use the Dewalt enough to invest in a 2nd battery for it.

So, if I started over would I get the Milwaukee multi-tool? Perhaps.  Batteries would be a lot more convenient but then again I do like the blade change mechanism of the Dewalt and it's brushless, so runtime is quite good.  Maybe if Milwaukee comes out with a Fuel version of their M18 or even M12 multi-tool, I'll consider switching.

Yea, the M18 Multi tool was a bit of a letdown not you figured it would have been brushless plus they were one of the last 18v multi tools. Yea TIA doesn't get much from Makita to review. I think the burning of the drill video didn't help

• Like 2

If I could start again, I wouldnt so much change brands.  I wish I would have waited for the m12 fuel stuff to come out instead of jumping on the m18 brushed deal I found.  Smaller tools with pretty much just as much power.  I dont do heavy drilling etc, so the m12 fuel would have been perfect. That said, Im still extremely happy with my brushed m18 stuff and I would have stuck with Milwaukee.  So far im very happy with their products. Dewalt was another choice when I was in the market.  Went team red because I grew up as a kid around with construction, plumbing, heating, etc in my family and thats the majority of what I saw being used.  Plus you cant beat what they have available in their lineup. 

Damian, I agree with you, I might have bought less 20V tools and more m12 fuels, these are my Goto when I am doing work and only break out the 20V when I need the extra power (which so far haven't found the need other than my recip and circular saw) I started with the 20V because of my old school habits, I was always disappointed in the 7.2v and 12v lines and bought 18v back in the day because of the power...bigger is better after all, but these m12 (and all the other pistol style 12v's) are extremely compact, I have a 12v drill from back in the day that dwarfs my 20v line and my 20v line dwarfs my m12 line.

So basically I'm married to the milwaukee 18v system, I have probably over 20 m18 tools, which close to half are fuel and 10 batteries. Sometimes I find myself looking over the fence at the greener grass. Just curious if there is anyone else who would possibly change brands if they had to start over?

Grass is never "greener," it's just a different color green.

I think what Daryn started was something I came to years ago. If you look in my shop pretty much everything I have is small and mobile. I moved the shop to a larger area but it's still a smaller space with limited ceiling height. I've got two Dewalt bench tools (contractor saw and planer) and for cordless 20v...hammer, circular and framer. Now a Makita 18v brushless jig, Milwaukee M12 Fuel impact and hackzall plus the rotary tool. Bosch 12v vacuum and work light, Ryobi 118v brad nailer. Bosch 18v wireless brushless impact and brushless multi tool and a Bosch router in a table and sander then my mainstay...Festool Kapex and a ton of Festools (Routers, Domino, sanders,drill, tables etc). I like what I have. I'm a very fortunate and blessed person in many things. As far as having multiples in one line? It's easy for me, I am a DiY guy and hobbyist woodworker. I don't have to bring my tools out too often but.,,lol,if one of these companies made every tool I listed maybe I'd be married to a tool line. For cordless it would be easier all around. My charger wall would be simple. But, few companies that I know of have the versatility to allow for a complete shop. If Dewalt would get of their yellow butt and step it up on nailers, maybe I'd have a single line but heck I'm looking at a Bosch finish nailer which means three different nailers! But hey wile I'm wishing...maybe Milwaukee could start introducing some more woodworking tools and nailers too. I know they are coming out with one but that's why I'm all over the place like pacman eating those stupid dots.

• Like 1

Interesting topic!

I have to say, there are times when I wish I would have switched lineups when I see something cool/new come out. However, the same could be said for the current lineup that I own. Milwaukee has come out with some pretty neat tools and I don't have many complaints about their lineup as a whole.

FB82

I'm so deep into the Milwaukee lines it isn't funny. I don't regret my decision, but I would strongly consider Dewalt or Bosch if buying again today.

20V Max was too limited when I was buying last time, but I like the USA assembly initiative. I believe Bosch is probably the best build quality among the Big 4

• 3 weeks later...

Yup !

Completly thesame tool on the inside.  Just added the quick change a la fein :)

I'm a little late for this reply but...

It's not the exact same tool on the inside. The older LXMT02Z had a plastic wishbone in the head, it has been replaced by a much stronger metal wishbone in the XMT03Z. 90% of the repairs we have had to do on the LXMT02Z Multi-Tool was because of a broken wishbone. They have fixed this problem now, I haven't had a single XMT03Z come back for repairs yet.

I did start again, and went with Milwaukee again. I bought the old 18v NiCad 4 tool pack(sawzall, circ, hammer drill and flashlight) many years ago, I used it part-time for many years in property maintenance/rehab. I recently started to gather some tools for doing some sub work, after reading many reviews I went with M12/M18.  M12/Fuel line for drill/ driver/ multitool/ right angle/ ratchet/ jigsaw etc. Fuel m18 line for circ/ sawzall/ impact wrench. Thanks to Tools in Action for the reviews.

• Like 1

I'm a little late for this reply but...

It's not the exact same tool on the inside. The older LXMT02Z had a plastic wishbone in the head, it has been replaced by a much stronger metal wishbone in the XMT03Z. 90% of the repairs we have had to do on the LXMT02Z Multi-Tool was because of a broken wishbone. They have fixed this problem now, I haven't had a single XMT03Z come back for repairs yet.

Funny you say that... within about the first hour of use on my lXMT02 I heard a weird noise and it lost all oscillation. Brought it to the local shop and they said that they had already seen it ( this was just after it was originally released) fixed it up under warranty and no problems since then... I wonder if I got the metal part as a replacement

Funny you say that... within about the first hour of use on my lXMT02 I heard a weird noise and it lost all oscillation. Brought it to the local shop and they said that they had already seen it ( this was just after it was originally released) fixed it up under warranty and no problems since then... I wonder if I got the metal part as a replacement

The metal wishbone part became available as a factory fix about 1 year ago.

I have owned Bosch 18v and Milwaukee M18 Fuels, I have used the 20v dewalts (brushed) and the Makita 18v (brushed) there are pros and cons to all of them but the Milwaukee are the ones I use for all my jobs, I enjoyed the Makita line up, great feel to them, I would like to try the M12 line up and see if they are worth their weight for the money, I do home renovations and the small size may just be the ticket to some of the places I need a screw or a hole drilled. the Bosch drills were slow, I think only 1300 RPM whereas the Fuels are at around 1850? the dewalts are at 2000 which is nice. the dewalt impact I find to be not-so-variable speed and I ended up stripping a lot of screws because I just couldn't get used to the way it reacted. if I had to start over all again, I don't think id switch brands but I know that I would stick to Milwaukee and Makita from now on for drill/drivers. and im really liking the looks of the bosch glide mitre saw, so that might be a new purchase to come?

The M12 fuel impact is nice as you have 2 speed options you can have full power or lower torque and rpm for delicate tasks. The only thing is the M12 fuel drill isn't the most compact 12V drill. The impact isn't bad but the drill it has some length to it. I'm pretty happy with Milwaukee but their are tools I wish they had or did a better job like the Multitool overall I'm pretty happy. The M18 fuel circular saw and Sawzall are awesome!!

i love having two lines, so I can avoid the weaker tools in one brand. For instance, I have:

Dewalt 20V: BL Drills, BL Impact, Circ Saw, Recip Saw but

Bosch 18V: Multi-tool, jigsaw, grinder, SDS, Planer

If I started again though, one of my lines would be Milwaukee. Then the choice between Makita/Metabo/Bosch/Dewalt would be super tricky....

I go back and forth DarynH. I like to try tools from different lines all the time but I have a small wood shop and am not a pro so my tools tiding normally have to get hauled all over Gods creation. Therefore multiple battery lines aren't an issue.

I'm with chrisk1970 I try all the tools and I don't worry about wish is going to last longer. I do a lot of different task as you know apartment maintenance is one with different challenges and I need tools that can perform high cuality work. So I'm doing good so far no need to start yet. I do cord and cordless Tools.