New Milwaukee tool storage options?

DarynH

I was looking at some M18 videos on youtube today and I stumbled upon this unboxing video of the M18 Fuel grinder in a box I hadn't seen before.

https://youtu.be/CGquyDBXqvA 

I think the cat's out of the bag and this is one of their new boxes they were hinting about.

If I'm right, it's as I feared and it looks like they tried to do their own thing, which is again incompatible with the other systems already out there.

Might as well have saved themselves the trouble and just kept the old cases.

• Like 1

I think that expecting Milwaukee just to license another company's storage system wouldn't be realistic. They are all about differentiating thier offerings from everyone else's - the whole "500% tougher than the competition!" gig. I'm not saying that's always the best approach or that it wouldn't be nice to have red boxes that played nicely with systainers, but I don't think it's going to happen.

What we really need is for all of the tool companies to come up with an open standard for boxes that everyone can use without paying royalties, but I think that's probably also a pipe dream. Heck, dewalt doesn't even make their tstak and tough boxes stack compatible.

Stuart on Toolguyd just posted this.  http://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-organizer/.  It's definitely not what I was expecting and to be honest, disappointing as well.  I think the market is saturated with these small parts organizers.  Don't get me wrong, I think they are useful, but a tool / parts organizer would be a lot more desirable to me.  If Milwaukee would come out with one of those and actually have Home Depot stock them in the store, unlike Bosch's L-boxx, I believe they would make a good profit just off of having them accessible to consumers and contractors who want something a little more organized than a bunch of tools scattered in various boxes.

It's possible that the small parts organizer is just the first available part of a larger system; at least I'm really hoping that this is the first part of a larger system with more options.  An organizer, while nice, isn't going to be enough for me to ditch my existing boxes.

I was looking at some M18 videos on youtube today and I stumbled upon this unboxing video of the M18 Fuel grinder in a box I hadn't seen before.

https://youtu.be/CGquyDBXqvA

I think the cat's out of the bag and this is one of their new boxes they were hinting about.

If I'm right, it's as I feared and it looks like they tried to do their own thing, which is again incompatible with the other systems already out there.

Might as well have saved themselves the trouble and just kept the old cases.

These boxes have been out for awhile in the UK. In fact you can buy them off eBay. I hope this isn't what they are bringing here and that it is just the version of box the UK gets instead of the blow mold cases.

Well I've been holding my breath for a quite a while now and am pretty happy with the storage options I have. I have to disagree about branding another companies boxes though. R&D will have been completed and they would need only make inserts for the boxes. This would allow a lot of cohesion for people like John, me and everybody else that has multiple box lines. Plus it would ensure that a box comes to fruition sooner than later and ensures no more going backwards and forwards with different boxes. I mean cmon. They have to know that there is an interest in tool storage for both the pro and the home wood shop like mine. Storage is a big deal when your working in a 20x20 area with little ceiling height. So....GET MOVING MILWAUKEE.