20V cordless tools I'm waiting for

Mattias Blomqvist

I don't remember were I heard this from but Dewalt said that there none bl recip competes with others brushless recip, so they don't feel the need to make one. T.I.A has a tool fight video and the Dewalt only lost by a few cuts

I think it's important for a tool manufacturer to keep their existing models for sale when upgrading to new brushless models since brushless models tend to be much more pricey. Everyone don't care for the top notch, most powerful, longest runtime that money can buy but care more for reliability for a older more experienced tool and perhaps more "bang for the buck" since lower price tag than the newer brushless model that come out.

Even thou many like to see the new models come without brushes these days

Just my toughts on the matter.

The truth is we don't know how long brushless tools will last there's more points of failure if the electronics go out the tool is done. Brushed tools no doubt will outlive brushless tools the first power tool had brushes and there still around today for good reason. I want brushless but if the tool failed on me after the warranty the parts will cost more than the tool, and I would be so pissed I would beat it up with a hammer, if the brushes go out there just a few bucks.

• Like 1

The truth is we don't know how long brushless tools will last there's more points of failure if the electronics go out the tool is done. Brushed tools no doubt will outlive brushless tools the first power tool had brushes and there still around today for good reason. I want brushless but if the tool failed on me after the warranty the parts will cost more than the tool, and I would be so pissed I would beat it up with a hammer, if the brushes go out there just a few bucks.

That's a part of what I tried to explain in my last post :)

I think it's important for a tool manufacturer to keep their existing models for sale when upgrading to new brushless models since brushless models tend to be much more pricey. Everyone don't care for the top notch, most powerful, longest runtime that money can buy but care more for reliability for a older more experienced tool and perhaps more "bang for the buck" since lower price tag than the newer brushless model that come out.

Even thou many like to see the new models come without brushes these days

Just my toughts on the matter.

while some charge a premium for their BL models , but Dewalt only charges about $10 more making it an easier decision. Though Justin has a great point about reliability and longevity.

while some charge a premium for their BL models , but Dewalt only charges about $10 more making it an easier decision. Though Justin has a great point about reliability and longevity.

I guess you are blessed with that in US. Here in Finland the price difference is larger than that.

Hmmm, the post I made regarding that don't really make sense then since the majority at this forum is from the states. Apologies about that then if I may have seemed like a fool :P

I guess you are blessed with that in US. Here in Finland the price difference is larger than that.

Hmmm, the post I made regarding that don't really make sense then since the majority at this forum is from the states. Apologies about that then if I may have seemed like a fool :P

no need to apologize, you are right in that most companies do charge a major premium and I was mainly talking about the drills .For example the DCD995B is $149 and the DCD985B is $139 . I won't name and names but one company that does charge a larger premium has a red shell. ;)

HAHA, I do love my 995 as well but I hear that the hammer function punishes the user more than other brands.

I have the 995. I think it's a fantastic drill. I use it mostly for drilling and occassionally as a hammer drill. For anything more than a couple handfuls of holes of moderate size (1/4" and smaller)  I use the Bosch RHH181 brushless rotary hammer drill. Dewalt has one know and I'm sure it's comparable. The rotary hammer drill is a lot faster especially when you get into the 1/2" or 5/8" diameter hole and with the sds bits, they will not lossen up. The 995 is a powerful drill and the only complaints I've seen had to do with clutch setting but I didn't buy the drill to do finish work. I doubt I'll ever you the clutch settings especially the very low settings they seem to be complaining about. I use the 795 for most small to moderate jobs and it's  much lighter to handle for most jobs but when it comes to drilling 1/2" holes in wood with a speed bit or auger bit, the 995 shines. To attach sill plates the 995 eats 1/2" holes for foundation anchor bolts through treated wood especially with the Bosch daredevil bits. Your average compact drill just won't do that job very well and wasn't designed to. 

yeah I hear you about the hammer drill function being used for smaller projects and holes. If I do need to drill 1/2" or 3/4" etc holes I'll just borrow the hilti from work.As for the 995 it is a great drill but I wish they would have kept the mode selector and I'm not sure why they only have 11 clutch settings. Maybe like you mentioned its not for finishing work so 20 settings aren't needed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

yeah I hear you about the hammer drill function being used for smaller projects and holes. If I do need to drill 1/2" or 3/4" etc holes I'll just borrow the hilti from work.As for the 995 it is a great drill but I wish they would have kept the mode selector and I'm not sure why they only have 11 clutch settings. Maybe like you mentioned its not for finishing work so 20 settings aren't needed.

The 995 is great and can handle 3/4" holes all day. I liked how it's 2nd gear could handle stuff that you would have to use 1st gear on other drills. But with that said, I returned 2 995's in a month and have moved on to the new gen2 hammer drill. I can now drill those same 3/4" holes faster and in high speed. I think the 995 was a noticeable step up from my 985 despite loosing some features but this new Milwaukee drill blows them both away.