PSA: Dewalt Ratchet is heavier than craftsman

Shuutr

So like I mentioned in the mechanics tool set thread, I bought the dewalt 3/8" Socket Wrench Set with Pear Head Ratchet when they were on sale recently.

I have had a craftsman 100 piece set for years and decided to pick up a new set. The first thing I noticed was that the dewalt ratchet is noticeably heavier. Not burdensome but heavier. It also ratchets at smaller intervals than my craftsman. And it was smoother.

My first project was to hang a garage door opener in my new garage. The garage has taller a ceiling than I'm used to and had to buy a taller ladder (8') than I had previously owned (6'). I also had to buy extensions for the opener mount, but ultimately I was able to use my new ratchet.

I did have to move from one side of the opener to the other a couple times. His meant moving the ladder. Well I must have left the ratchet on the top of the ladder because as I moved the ladder it fell from the top.

My reflex was (o-my-gosh-my-new-ratchet-is-going-to-bite-the-dust) to soften the fall of my new prized full polish ratchet ..... with my foot. Bad idea. The weight that struck my foot was far greater that what I expected given my experience with the lighter craftsman. So much more.

My foot starts to swell immediately. My tennis shoes (bad choice) was visibly growing. And now slightly bleeding. The head of the ratchet had actually broken the skin on my foot through my shoe.

I know now that it was dumb because I know nothing would have broken if I let it fall.

The thing that makes this even more ridiculous is that when the set went on sale I bought the other sizes and a full mechanics set. I bring that up not as a humblebrag but to make the point that I had another.

I left for the beach for our family vacation the next day and limped up and down the beach like a fool.

Anyway, lesson learned. Dewalt is Heavier than craftsman.

Sorry about your foot!

I noticed the same thing when I migrated from Craftsman, to DeWalt. I bought the 200+ piece mechanics toolset the day it came out.

Very first thing I noticed, was how well the ratchets felt in the hand.

I sold my considerable Craftsman collection a week later, and I've been living in black and yellow paradise ever since.