IMAO: Power Tool are like Firearms

n00b

I'm a gun guy.  I'm a Glock guy.  I'm a streamlined Glock-guy.  Everything is the same caliber, everything is interchangable, magazines and such.

Using that same reasoning, to me, cordless power tools are kinda-sorta the same thing.  One brand, streamlined.  One brand, many batteries to fuel said brand.  Streamlined.

Are you guys of the opinion of one brand to rule them all OR just the best overall manufacturer of said tool OR the best deal at the time of purchase?

It's taken quite a while for me to pull the cordless-trigger...because I over-analyze the ZOMG DO I WANT 12V OR 18V AND DO I WANT TO TRY AND STICK TO THE SAME BRAND OR DOES ANY OF THIS MATTER??!?!!1!

Up until this point, I've rocked very limited amount of corded tools, because, ya know, 200ft of extension cord is super convenient to weild.

But all I know now, it that I'm ready to pull the cordless-trigger, SO I'm picking everyone's brains for opinions and the such.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm with you on not wanting to have a bunch of different platforms for cordless tools.  Batteries are too expensive and chargers take up too much room to have 5 different battery types.

If all you care about is drills and impacts, I think any of the big cordless platforms will work well for you.  Like someone else said in a different post on cordless platforms, you should evaluate the platform based on the availability of some of the more specific tools that you may need down the road.  Need a cordless framing nailer?  Dewalt is the only game in town.  Really want a cordless inflator, spiral saw and misting fan - go Ryobi.  Need to be surrounded by cutting edge red awesomeness... Milwaukee is in your future.  Want smaller power tools that still have great power - you've got a choice of Milwaukee M12 or Bosch.

So, it just depends on what tools you are looking to buy now and in the future but I think you've come to the right place.

Thanks for the response.

I'm just a DIY-guy who eventually wants to learn how to build stuff...gotta jump on the hipster-craftsman bandwagon before all the PBR's gone!

Seriously though, I don't really know what I need until I need it, like I said, this ain't a payin' gig, I'm just toolin' around in my garage, but yeah, it's all new territory for me, and when I go, I go whole-hog...

I've already pulled the trigger on the Milwaukee M18 line, plus have the 20V DeWalt trimmer...so I've already got two different chargers sitting on the workbench...

For DIY work you can't go wrong with any of the brands mentioned. I was like you about the different battery platforms. I have both 12v and 18v systems but have been switching everything over to all Bosch just so everything is the same. I have had Milwaukee, Dewalt and Makita but just decided to go with Bosch because I thought I would try them out to see what I think. So far I'm pretty satisfied...until something new and better comes out!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Guns were my first big hobby. Bought a bunch of inexpensive shooters with good reputations. Sold a bunch to finance higher end products. Streamlined at one point to 9mm and .22lr pistols. Then the shortage happened bought .45 and .40. Bought and sold some more. When I realized I was only taking less than half my pistols when I went to the range I sold off half of what I owned. I settled on a moderately diverse collection of users.

My next collection was pocket knives and I went through a similar pattern. Bought a bunch of CRKT/SAK/gerbers and Chinese knockoffs. Sold those to buy cold steel, Spyderco and Benchmade. Sold some rarely carried knives to get a CRK Sebenza and customized some of my more favored Benchmade and Spyderco. I then sold off those I didn't carry to buy some nice power tools.

Its a familiar pattern. As you research new models, you learn the pros and cons and what serves you best. Streamlined is good but focus on what you will use most. Don't invest in things that aren't exactly what you want. It will only frustrate you and you never get back what you paid for them.

There are enough deals that show up with batteries and chargers, there really isn't a need to focus on just one line. But if you are planning to outfit with a lot of cordless tools, think about everything you will use and pick the line that does those tools right.