What's your take on the Milwaukee M18 2630 Circular Saw?

bothuhead19

Milwaukee makes great cordless saws. I don't have experience with the one pictured here, but I think I remember Eric saying that it was his favorite for a long time. If your looking for an upgrade, you might consider the M18 FUEL 2730-20 6-1/2" Circular Saw ( It'll run you about $200 for the bare tool ). An upgrade from the 2730 is the M18 FUEL 2731 7-1/4" Circ Saw ( about $230 for the bare tool ). The 2731-20 is gonna be my next Milwaukee tool purchase. I just bought the M12 FUEL 2530-20 5-3/8" Circular saw ($150 for the bare tool) for small jobs around the shop and to leave in my car. The 2530 has plenty of power, enough to get through solid oak. It breezes through 2x stock and plywood. 

Some thing's to consider is that 6-1/2" circular blades are slightly more expensive and less common than 7-1/4" circular saw blades. 5-3/8" circular saw blades are the rarest of the bunch. Of course, If your buying blades online, then it's not really a problem.

Here's the little M12 beast i've been using for little over a week:

post-50272-0-56317600-1435438118_thumb.j

• Like 3

I refused to invest in either a cordless circ saw or grinder for the longest time. They simply didn't have the power or runtime to be legitimate options IMO. Last Christmas I got the 2731 and 2780 grinder and holy shit was I surprised!

The 2731 goes through 2x's and 3/4" ply like it's no big deal at all. I'd used several cordless circ saws before and owned a couple as well, but the 2731 was really next level. I'd strongly suggest upgrading to it if it's an option for you

• Like 2

Yep, I second what Conductor has to say here. I've always been skeptical about cordless tools in general, but especially when It came to saws. I've used the older blue and the newer green version of the Ryobi circ saws and found them to be very weak. After using the 2530, I know it's only a 12V, but it has just amazed me. Now I can't wait to get the 2731.

Only had expirence with the 2731(7 1/4 Fuel)

I'll start by saying The reviews online are accurate and pretty good depictions of the tool!!

On to my short review..

I bought off CPO Tool and got the 2731-21..Paid $320 total

Comes with saw, 4ah battery, m18/m12 charger & carry bag..

This thing is a beast..definitely replaces a corded saw!!

I use it to cut everything..hard wood, soft wood, treated, not treated..the run time from a 4ah battery and brushless motor is substantial enough to handle a light to medium work load..With 2 batteries and your cutting all day!!

The only time it bogs is if you push a high tooth blade too fast or don't keep a straight hand..much like any corded saw will do if it's over worked (but those are user errors)

The saw has the same feature like other Milwaukee tools that will cut power if it's really over powered..You really have to dog this thing to get it to cut power..but reset in a second and it's ready to go again!!

I've had it about 8 months getting medium to heavy use day in and day out and it's always ready Togo!! The only time the corded one gets used is when I won't let someone use it who I know doesn't care for tools the way I do haha

Overall this gets a very high rating from me and I will recommend to anyone!!

I've not used the smaller FUEL saw but it has great online reviews and I'm sure it's jus as strong as the full size!!

• Like 1

I'll start by saying The reviews online are accurate and pretty good depictions of the tool!!

On to my short review..

I use it to cut everything..hard wood, soft wood, treated, not treated..the run time from a 4ah battery and brushless motor is substantial enough to handle a light to medium work load..With 2 batteries and your cutting all day!!

The only time it bogs is if you push a high tooth blade too fast or don't keep a straight hand..much like any corded saw will do if it's over worked (but those are user errors)

The saw has the same feature like other Milwaukee tools that will cut power if it's really over powered..You really have to dog this thing to get it to cut power..but reset in a second and it's ready to go again!!

I've had it about 8 months getting medium to heavy use day in and day out and it's always ready Togo!! The only time the corded one gets used is when I won't let someone use it who I know doesn't care for tools the way I do haha

I've not used the smaller FUEL saw but it has great online reviews and I'm sure it's jus as strong as the full size!!

Nice review Yikkit, and congratulations on the new addition to your family ( I'm making an assumption from your avatar pic)

• Like 1

I went with the 2731 just so I could use the 7 1/4" blades I already have. I haven't had a chance to use it much but I'm really liking it so far.

Good choice!!

7 1/4 blades are cheaper and the little bit extra depth doesn't hurt!!

I use Diablo blades on mine from HD..they last a longgg time!!

Milwaukee makes great cordless saws. I don't have experience with the one pictured here, but I think I remember Eric saying that it was his favorite for a long time. If your looking for an upgrade, you might consider the M18 FUEL 2730-20 6-1/2" Circular Saw ( It'll run you about $200 for the bare tool ). An upgrade from the 2730 is the M18 FUEL 2731 7-1/4" Circ Saw ( about $230 for the bare tool ). The 2731-20 is gonna be my next Milwaukee tool purchase. I just bought the M12 FUEL 2530-20 5-3/8" Circular saw ($150 for the bare tool) for small jobs around the shop and to leave in my car. The 2530 has plenty of power, enough to get through solid oak. It breezes through 2x stock and plywood. 

Some thing's to consider is that 6-1/2" circular blades are slightly more expensive and less common than 7-1/4" circular saw blades. 5-3/8" circular saw blades are the rarest of the bunch. Of course, If your buying blades online, then it's not really a problem.

Here's the little M12 beast i've been using for little over a week:

attachicon.gif20150627_102501.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll definitely look into blade availability and prices.  The 2731 would be my first choice but it's out of my price range.

I refused to invest in either a cordless circ saw or grinder for the longest time. They simply didn't have the power or runtime to be legitimate options IMO. Last Christmas I got the 2731 and 2780 grinder and holy shit was I surprised!

The 2731 goes through 2x's and 3/4" ply like it's no big deal at all. I'd used several cordless circ saws before and owned a couple as well, but the 2731 was really next level. I'd strongly suggest upgrading to it if it's an option for you

Thanks for the info, I really do want the 2731 but the price is a little steep for me at the moment.  Maybe I'll just wait and save a little longer...

On to my short review..

Thanks for the feedback.  I really want a saw that will last and the 2731 is starting to sound like a very good option.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely look into blade availability and prices. The 2731 would be my first choice but it's out of my price range.

I hear you. Don't let the forum push you into a purchase that will be hard to justify. Get the right tool for your needs and you'll be fine. If I were a diyer/maker/weekend warrior I would buy Ryobi. They are cheap, tools are good, easy to get and they will get the job done. However, if your in the Milwaukee platform already, I think the brushed tools are still great. In fact, I'm eventually gonna pick up some m12 brushed drills because I won't need all that power or run time. Anyway, good luck with your search and don't forget to posts pics of whatever saw you decide to get

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I hear you. Don't let the forum push you into a purchase that will be hard to justify. Get the right tool for your needs and you'll be fine. If I were a diyer/maker/weekend warrior I would buy Ryobi. They are cheap, tools are good, easy to get and they will get the job done. However, if your in the Milwaukee platform already, I think the brushed tools are still great. In fact, I'm eventually gonna pick up some m12 brushed drills because I won't need all that power or run time. Anyway, good luck with your search and don't forget to posts pics of whatever saw you decide to get

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yeah good advice,  I will do some more thinking...I tend to jump the gun sometimes and then get stuck with tools I didn't really need/want.

I'm a firm believer good tools aren't cheap and cheap tools aren't good. If you need a tool for a small job 3 times a year around the house see if you can rent one or borrow if you need it more than that or will be constantly using it then a quality tool is worth the money spent in the long run......some times you go cheap and end up not liking it or not caring about it and end up buying the better tool anyway and you ended up spending more than you needed to.....its not always what you can do for a tool its what a tool can do for you.....

Yeah good advice,  I will do some more thinking...I tend to jump the gun sometimes and then get stuck with tools I didn't really need/want.

Certainly don't let us push a tool on you..the 7 1/4 FUEL would definitely be over kill but I use it almost daily and it makes life easier!!

Ive heard great things ab the brushed ones as well..definitely get what's best for you situation but since your already on M18 platform I'd suggest sticking w a red one..you know your money will go to quality product that's there when you need it!!

I would like to get the 2731 because I have no doubt that it would be quite the performer. The problem is, I don't do wood working for money, so I can't justify the purchase for the very little use that it will get. Plus, I don't like it when some of these cordless tools cost 200 dollars or more for just the bare tool, thats crazy in my opinion.

Yea it took me about 3 months to finally buy it and It took a lot of back a fourth thinking then I sold a few things to help w the high price but I love every second of having it!!

Bothuhead: Do you have a more specific intended use for the saw, or are you looking for general purpose?

As hardcore tool guys we tend to get hung up on high end stuff, but in reality the saw you're looking at is a great project saw. It's not going to make you wanna sell your corded saw, but in all honesty it's probably sufficient for your needs.

• Like 6