Stanley Black & Decker: ALL YOUR TOOLS BELONG TO US!!1!

n00b

Went down the Wiki rabbit hole the other night...

Found this interesting/weird:

Stanley Black & Decker is the parent company of...

DeWalt

Porter-Cable

Black & Decker (duh)

Stanley Handtools (double-duh)

Bostitch

Mac Tools

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Black_%26_Decker#Business_segments_and_brands

I was trying to naildown why exactly their's so much hate towards DeWalt...I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Just find it odd that a trusted brand (DeWalt) is tied to a "lesser" brand (Black & Decker).

Most companies have a cheaper brand, and also a more expensive, fully featured brand. Ie, Chevy and GMC are both owned by GM, and GMC is nicer than Chevy. At least thats how i think it works...

They also own Buick and Cadillac.

Each line has different strategies to grab market share. DeWalt is B&Ds Cadillac

True.

Ford/Lincoln/Mercury...Toyota/Lexus...Honda/Acura.

With cars, doubling the price for leather and a nav system kinda-sorta makes sense, but a $30 crap tool that you're gonna have to replace eventually vs a $100 that might live forever? I don't get it.

Dewalt was always a middle of the road tool maker......back in the day before the DIYers were popular  Porter-Cable was king from these companies trying to compete with Milwaukee and  never could so they changed direction......got to remember I'm talking when the average home owner had a few screwdrivers......millions of people may as well make tools for them instead of just the pro's....

don't get me wrong, they all make good tools but it all depends on why and how you use them......

Its the cost/usefulness balance.  If you want quality it costs money and sometimes more than people can afford.  How much are you willing to invest for you needs can vary depending on who you are.  If they make $15 profit per dewalt drill targeted at one crowd and $5 per B&D drill targeted at another larger crowd, those products can be equally profitable without competing with each other.  And they can compete with any other company not owned by them.  

I don't think there is a lot of hate toward dewalt, but from what I have gathered on the interwebs is that DeWalt is relying on their name to sell tools while other companies are raising the bar (is use they are top two or three in head to head comparisons).  They are great tools and have been great for a while.  But the market swings.  Surely DeWalt has something in the pipeline to regain their momentum in the marketplace.  And then we will opine about the days when big Red wrecked shop.  

I wouldn't say that DeWalt was always middle of the road. Or rather, maybe they have been middle of the road price wise, but I would say that if you've been on a jobsite in the past 20 years, it must not take high end tools to build a city, because it has been and still is to an extent, a sea of yellow out there.

I would say that DeWalt has coasted on their name for a while now and think they have ground to make up on the competition though. I would say it isn't DeWalt hate so much as disappointment that they aren't where they theoretically could be with regards to quality, feature sets and product output.

On topic, it's nothing new for a major corporation to own several brands, whether it's to acquire more market share, or diversify product etc., just look at everything that Pepsi owns.

A lot of companies diversify their product lines in this way. SB&D pushes their PC and Bostitch lines pretty hard at Lowes, they really own the higher end market in that store because Bosch doesn't offer the in store diversity that DeWalt does. SB&D pushes DeWalt pretty hard in Home Depot competing with Milwaukee and Ridgid. From time to time they try to push the Black & Decker line at Home Depot in an attempt to compete with Ryobi but that's like trying to fight a guerrilla with one hand tied behind your back.

The one company that does kind of confuse me on their diversification is TTI. I say that because Milwaukee, Ryobi and Ridgid are all sold through Home Depot. You would think that they would have put one of the lines at Lowes.

A lot of companies diversify their product lines in this way. SB&D pushes their PC and Bostitch lines pretty hard at Lowes, they really own the higher end market in that store because Bosch doesn't offer the in store diversity that DeWalt does. SB&D pushes DeWalt pretty hard in Home Depot competing with Milwaukee and Ridgid. From time to time they try to push the Black & Decker line at Home Depot in an attempt to compete with Ryobi but that's like trying to fight a guerrilla with one hand tied behind your back.

The one company that does kind of confuse me on their diversification is TTI. I say that because Milwaukee, Ryobi and Ridgid are all sold through Home Depot. You would think that they would have put one of the lines at Lowes.

Look at it like they can't loose more choices in my homedepot there all next to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember that B&D used to make some really high quality tools back in the day. Dewalt is still the pro line for their company and have been pretty innovative in product design. I would add that B&D has a huuuuuuuuuuuge following in the DIY and outdoor power tool market. There a reason they are still a big company. I think they share back and forth with product design as does TTI with their companies too. I don't think Dewalt has that much hate here on the forum. Milwaukee has a huge fan base here on TiA whereas Dewalt's forum was merged into TiA. Dewalt still has a large presence here on TiA. Makita interestingly enough is starting to get a larger base here on the forum too. Ryobi has some serious fanatics also, ask Kato. As a matter of fact ask me. I love....no LOVE my Airstrike Brad nailer. B&D for the most part is unheard of on the forum, some people bring it up occasionally but it's infrequent. I still tout my B&D Autosense 20v drill though. It is by far the most comfortable grip of any drill and it's super useful for not overdriving screws. But the most hated group in TiA, based on their World Power background, arrogance and complete lack of social etiquette when it comes to their natural superiority.....indeed the "Master Race" of power tools is Festool.

If you walked into my shop you'd see...

Dewalt,

Bosch,

Makita,

Milwaukee and even my B&D Auto Sense and Ryobi Airstrike.

Of course those tools ALWAYS come in second to my Festools :D

• Like 2

you are so right Chrisk, I am a huge Milwaukee fan through and through however I do realize that Milwaukee can not fill all my needs if Milwaukee makes the tool I need/want I will research them first but not always will I buy........for example Milwaukee's routers are sub level to Bosch in fact I have an older black and Decker router that is still the bomb.....so in saying that my tools consist of multiple brands as well...... 

• Like 2

When B&D bought Dewalt in 1959 or 60, they did so because of Dewalt's Radial Arm Saw business. RAS's were a big deal and Dewalt made the best ones.

Once RAS's became somewhat obsolete, they sold the business to a couple of their managers but retained the Dewalt name.

When they decided to roll out their new cordless line in the early 90's (which was based on ELU technology that they bought) the used the Dewalt name I assume because it still had a reputation of quality with woodworking/carpenter trades. B&D had some good tools at one time, but by that time they were more identifiable as a home products company rather than a trusted professional brand

I have a Porter Cable Made in the USA random orbit sander. I was going to sell it when I had a garage sale, but it is a quality tool. Yea the ELU/Dewalt cordless tools is what really made Dewalt the brand that it is. Dewalt is still a quality brand some of the gaps with the change over to the 20v max lineup were annoying though. The other big brands had already ripped that scab of changing platforms a few years earlier.

Porter-Cable (Wiki) consolidated with Delta (Wiki) in the year 2000 and then purchased by SB&D in 2004. SB&D in 2011 sold Delta off to a company in Taiwan.

Porter-Cable was a really good brand that was purchased by SB&D who already had DeWalt. Basically they bought out one of their biggest competitors.

Sorry to keep adding posts but I just found an article you guys might like to read from 1992.

Black & Decker hopes DeWalt tools' reputation will conjure new business

That market is worth $432 million and growing at 9 percent a year. Makita controls about half of it, and Black & Decker is a distant second with about 10 percent, industry observers said.

I wonder what those numbers look like today...

Porter Cable got bought by Rockwell in the very early 60's and the brand was cheapened and eventually phased out completely. They were bought and sold a few times with different companies doing different things with the brand. It really wasn't until the 80's that they started popping up again. They've been a kind of on again off again brand really

Porter Cable has a weird mix of tools. They have a few high quality legacy tools left, but for the most part the brand is diy consumer oriented. The 20v max line is pretty much there to give Lowes something similar to Ryobi even though the PC cordless line is way smaller than Ryobi. The tools are a bit higher quality than Ryobi, but I would recommend Ryobi over PC just because of all the tools you can buy on the Ryobi platform.