Home Depot you Light up my Life.....

comp56

in our city we have smart meters, different rates for different time of the day.....as far as I see a money grab they had to come up with because so many people are trying ways to save on utilities......so in saying that you make toast at the wrong time of day and there goes all your savings....

That suuuuucks.

• 6 months later...

We got "burnt" on the whole CFL thing when they first came out.  We replaced all the bulbs in our house, cause they told us the life span was 20+ years and we would save a ton on the electric bill.  We paid a lot for them, and they lasted less than 5 years, and we hardly noticed a savings worth justifying the initial cost. 

in our city we have smart meters, different rates for different time of the day.....as far as I see a money grab they had to come up with because so many people are trying ways to save on utilities......so in saying that you make toast at the wrong time of day and there goes all your savings....

Exactly that's why they're called smart meters, they know when to charge the premium rate!
  • Like 1

CFL's are pretty effecient now, every bulb in this house is CFL I am pretty sure and I am proud of it. Cleaner looking light, not so much yellow in the rooms. Weather or not there is noticeable savings on power, their might be, I just haven't noticed it on the bill. The truly energy efficient light is LED, they are true power savers, and they have a life of 50,000 hours. The only problem is, they generally haven't been bright enough to use as house bulbs. However, I think they are just now starting to come out with some better brighter LED bulbs for the home. But just like with CFL's, LED bulbs are much more expensive, you figure in 10 to 15 dollars per bulbs, so if you have 20 bulbs to replace in your home, thats going to be a lot of money. I am waiting for the LED technology to come down in price to make it more economical. As I agree, the initial cost can be an ass bighter.

CFL's are garbage, hotter than a three barrel pistol stuck on auto, you can get some pretty bright LED lighting now, I have 100W equivalent 16W led bulbs in the shop and you can't look at them they are so bright. we have bright led lighting in our living room as well but 3 fixtures in the ceiling but are only 39w when they are all on. our whole house have been upgraded with LED bulbs and fixtures. 43 in total but Ontario gov issued a $5 coupon to relieve the cost per bulb, I waited until they went on sale for around $8 so $3 each was not bad all daylight bulbs too..........

Exactly that's why they're called smart meters, they know when to charge the premium rate!

haha epic failure, they just recently announced to start removing the smart meters because they are a privacy issue. suppose to have them all removed by a certain date.....they will just jack up the rates across the board so you will pay more in the end anyway.....