Guns, Knives and Hunting

DiverDn

Big gun, knife and hunting fan.

I thought I would help kick off the new area with a "what's your favorite?" thread.

Knife - fixed blade - Bark River Knife and Tool - you can't beat the design and value for the money

Knife - folder - I jut got my first Zero Tollerance - like it so far

Gun - Almost anything other than Taurus, sorry I have never shot one that didn't malfunction

Hunting - currently bow hunting for deer

I too never gave it much thought over the years, but my son is into compound, recurve and long bows.....so I have gone out target practice with him a few times.....

Big gun, knife and ...

Big gun, knife and fishing fan here.

Knife - fixed blade - Benchmade Bone Collector Skinner.  The short one.  Not the long skinny one.  Rarely carried but it is my favorite

Knife - folder - Benchmade Mini Grip (custom scales on a Doug Ritter blade).  H&K mini axis folder is nice too.  Followed closely by the Spyderco Sage 3 or Chaparral or Delica

Gun - CZ 75.  9mm.  No better made shooter for my hand.  Naturally accurate and fun to shoot.  I also shoot a glock 23 well, M&P 9mm and a Colt 1911 45.

Fishing-   I love to fish.  Only end up going once or twice a year.  That will change.  I fish for bass with a shimano curado.  

Favorite EDC knife- Benchmade 904 mini axis locking folder.

Favorite EDC pistol- Kahr PM9 w/ Comp-tac Infidel holster

Favorite competition pistol- Custom STI 2011

Favorite polymer pistol- XDM 5.25 9mm

Favorite competition rifle- Custom 223 black rifle.

Favorite bolt rifle - Custom Remington 700 280cal. (Huge selection of 7mm bullets for hand loading)

Favorite deer hunting rifle- Remington model 7 7mm-08. (Right size for the job.)

Favorite 22 pistol- S&W model 41

Favorite 22 rifle- S&W M&P 15-22 magpul edition

Glocks are great guns but I don't prefer them just because of the grip angle. I have many hours of practice / competition with a 1911/2011. You get to where you can aim close from muscle memory. When I do that with a Glock the sights are way out of alignment. I know guys that compete with Glocks. I believe if you are going to shoot a Glock you should shoot nothing but a Glock.

I believe that if you are going to carry you should be responsible enough to practice. You should be able to hit what you are aiming at. I feel the Kahr is the best shooting compact pistol for me. It does very well on 6" plates at 20 yards.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For a folder I carry a Kershaw 1556BW. It's a Hinderer design, nice solid knife. KAI doesn't cheap out.

Favorite fixed blade is my SOG Gov-Tac.

Favorite pistol is my EDC (year-round) XDs-9 with TFO sights and Talon rubber grips.

I don't hunt, but I'd like to try it. A friend offered to take me grouse hunting sometime, but I haven't had time.

Man, bow hunting would be awesome. I never got around to it but worked with a guy once who use to travel up to northern Minnesota and bagged some bears a few times a year. Very fatty jerky from that.

Guns. I had one 9mm Kel-tec P11 model I believe for conceal carry type size and had to return it after a year of use. It cut my hand up bad everytime. Always left the range bleeding. Kick back took layers of skin off and even a local cop who worked there tried it and had same issue. Probably was best for a female as my wife had no issues.

Number one handgun was a Glock 22 in .40cal. That was a fantastic weapon. Never understood those who bought the huge Desert Eagle lol. Like a canon with a handle. Now living in the UK, we are not even allowed a BB gun.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Boy... this could be a long list...

All my favorite EDC knives are some variation of satin, stone washed, mirror, etc.  I don't like DLC blades for the most part so black blades are out.  I might be tempted by one of the new coatings Microtech is using or one of the Rockstead knives.

My EDC knife for about 3 years has been the Spyderco Endura 4.  I have several of them and switch them out from time to time.  Today's it a grey FRN with full spydie edge serration. 

My Dressy EDC knife is my Lone Wolf Diablo D/A

My favorite fixed blade currently (although I don't own it) is a Bussey Combat INFI Battle Mistress or maybe the Boss Jack

My current EDC pistol is my Ruger LCR .38  - Although I have to admit, I'm looking for a change.  I bought the LRC about a week after it was available and I've been carrying it for the last 5 years or so.

My favorite pistol is my Springfield Armory Mil-Spec Operator w/ full rail.

My favorite wheel gun is my Ruger (Old model) Vaquero .45 Long Colt Case Color frame.

I'm sure I can add to this list... and probably will soon lol.

I like the knife I currently have in my pocket. It's a Kershaw folder.

My favorite gun At the moment is my Mossberg 930 waterfowl. (I'd rather be ducking right now).

Looking to finally get my IL ccw permit sometime in the new year. That being said I will be looking for a better concealed carry other than my XD .40

I could go on about guns, and hunting forever.

Since knives are included in this thread, I thought I'd bring up a new release.  I am a huge fan of the Benchmade Griptilian.  I have purchased no less than 25 full size and mini griptilians.  If you have ever held one you are probably aware of their major flaw.  The handles are nylon.  They feel cheap and hollow and don't feel like they justify the $100+ MSRP they ask for them at Cabelas.  The ones I still own are all customized with custom scales made of aluminum or G10.  A mini grip with G10 scales and barrel standoffs make a great $80 knife.  The problem is you have to spend $140 to make the knife perfect.

Well I was excited that there was a rumor that Benchmade finally got off their butts and are releasing a G10 scaled Griptilian.  Here is the problem.  The G10 version comes with a $225 price tag.  The steel they are including is CPM 20CV (not found on the rest of their griptilian lineup like 154CM, D2, S30V or even N680), and that may drive the price up.  There is no way on this world or any other I am paying $225 for a griptilian.  Nope.  Not gonna happen.  

http://www.benchmade.com/griptilian-family.html

Since knives are included in this thread, I thought I'd bring up a new release.  I am a huge fan of the Benchmade Griptilian.  I have purchased no less than 25 full size and mini griptilians.  If you have ever held one you are probably aware of their major flaw.  The handles are nylon.  They feel cheap and hollow and don't feel like they justify the $100+ MSRP they ask for them at Cabelas.  The ones I still own are all customized with custom scales made of aluminum or G10.  A mini grip with G10 scales and barrel standoffs make a great $80 knife.  The problem is you have to spend $140 to make the knife perfect.

Well I was excited that there was a rumor that Benchmade finally got off their butts and are releasing a G10 scaled Griptilian.  Here is the problem.  The G10 version comes with a $225 price tag.  The steel they are including is CPM 20CV (not found on the rest of their griptilian lineup like 154CM, D2, S30V or even N680), and that may drive the price up.  There is no way on this world or any other I am paying $225 for a griptilian.  Nope.  Not gonna happen.  

http://www.benchmade.com/griptilian-family.html

Exactly how I feel about the sprint run enduras and delicas that end up being $200 for a knife that's $50-70 with VG-10 on a good day!  I admit I'd like some nicer steel and the G10's are really nice but the price increase is too much to swallow.

• 5 years later...